What You Missed Last Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Sports

49 out of 50 Associated Press sports writers chose Broncos’ quarterback Peyton Manning as the 2013 MVP at the 3rd Annual NFL Honors ceremony on February 1st. Manning holds the record for winning this award 5 times, which is the most in NFL history. 

Death threats have been reported by Mary Willingham, who worked with University of North Carolina athletes, reporting unfavorable results. According to her studies, 8% to 10% of UNC’s football and basketball players test below a 3rd grade reading level, a statement which UNC denied as being true. According to the university, Willingham was not authorized to conduct her research nor  could she provide any evidence to her claims. On the contrary, she shared with CNN her emails between school officials with stated otherwise, in which they not only authorized her studies, but were presented with her findings twice. Since then, CNN has reported that there have been many other complaints of the same problems occurring at other universities, and many have reached out to CNN newstation to thank them for shedding light on this overlooked issue. 

Entertainment

The Band Perry, who are set to perform at the Super Bowl XLVIII, offered major help to a family in need. When the Watson’s house caught fire in Greenville, KY, the mother and 8 of the children did not survive, while the father and one daughter were able to escape, now being treated at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Although no connection existed between the band and the family, the musician trio offered to take care of all expenses, a kind act that is truly appreciated. 

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead on Sunday, February 2nd, due to a drug overdose. He was discovered by a writer friend in his apartment at 11:15 a.m. He was 46 years old. 

Politics

Republican New Jersey governor Chris Christie was booed by the crowds at a Super Bowl event as his Bridgegate scandal reappeared in the news. The scandal took place on September 9, 2013, when two lanes on the George Washington bridge were closed without notifying the general public or public officials. The lane closure caused massive traffic jams, disrupting emergency services to even get through. Although Christie denied any knowledge of these lane closures when they reopened 4 days later, evidence has surfaced that this was purposely planned by his administration, angering the public and dropping his popularity as front runner for the presidential campaign in 2016. 

Broadcasted on all news channels, including the major ones such as CNN, ABC, NBC, and CBS, President Obama made his State of the Union speech on January 28th, with a positive focus on women in the workplace. He states, “It is time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a Mad Men episode. Women deserve equal pay for equal work. When women succeed, America succeeds.” This statement was well received by the audience. He also revealed his plan to issue an executive order requiring federal contractors to pay their federally funded employees at least $10.10 per hour, receiving positive applause by stating, “Say yes. Give America a raise!”

New York resident Benjamin Smith has been arrested on account of threatening to kill former president George W. Bush. Secret service was alerted by his mother, then later found in his car with weapons ranging from a 0.38-caliber rifle to a machete, along with others. Federal reports have shared that he has been taken into custody, as threats against presidents are a federal crime.

World Issues

Mount Sinabung in Karo, North Sumatra, Indonesia erupted on Saturday, February 1st with ash up to 700 degrees filling the air. 15 People were killed from contact, but at least 30,000 people have had to evacuate and are being temporarily housed at 42 evacuation centers. In the past 5 months, Indonesians have faced smaller eruptions from Mt. Sinabung, but it has never killed people on contact. According to BBC news, Mt. Sinabung is one of the less studied active volcanoes, so it is hard to predict its eruptions. 

Health 

Two outbreaks of the Norovirus, a virus that mimics symptoms of “the stomach bug” have been reported on two cruise ships – Princess Cruises’ Caribbean Princess with 178 sick, and Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas with 700 reported sick. Both ships had to dock days earlier than planned, as this virus is highly contagious and spread by contact and ingesting infected food. Hydration therapy to replace lost fluids is highly important and the only way to help sufferers recover. According to the Center for Disease control, the norovirus has its most prominent outbreaks from November to April, so taking extra precautions when traveling or coming in contact with high traffic areas is necessary. 

Have any thoughts on what’s going on in the world right now? Discuss in the comments below! 

UCF Contributor