This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

January 21, 2018 was the one-year anniversary of the women’s march that basically showed the world that an entire gender was against President 45. According to, Aziz Ansari. On this day, all social media outlets were flooded with images of the march. Women marched with signs that blatantly said their frustrations about our current president, or the fact that women are complete bad-asses. Which, in my humble opinion, is a fact that should be said every day.

I didn’t participate in the march this year because I was attending my best friend’s birthday brunch, but I did see the crowd walking around Lake Eola. It was a beautiful thing to witness but it also made me realize what the march means to me.

It means that a woman’s voice deserves to be heard.

When we were little girls, we were taught that being a girl was a variety of things that seemed to contain the color pink. As we got older, though, we learned a woman shouldn’t speak too loudly, because a man dominates the conversation more. We learned that a woman is paid less than a man, even if we do the same work or even more. We learned that a woman can experience sexual assault and be silenced from fear. A fear that some are still dealing with, and who have to explain to their own daughters at the dinner table.

The women’s march is the embodiment of an entire gender that is yelling for equality and the seat at the table, because they are tired of being quiet or having attention for their beauties instead of their brains. This march has meant to me more than I can write in an article. It means a system of support, a place to be who you are and express what you want to change about the world. Maybe that is continuing to grow as a woman or challenging the lines of what it means to be feminine.  It’s a plethora of things, a spectrum that isn’t meant to be defined or kept in a box.

The Women’s March of 2018 is a kaleidoscope of our past, present, and future for equality of the sexes. That, to me, is what the march meant. 

Image: 1

Karla Grimes (and yes, like Rick Grimes from the Walking Dead) is a senior at the University of Central Florida. Her major is English-Creative Writing with a minor in Magazine Journalism! Besides reading and writing, Karla enjoys binge watching Criminal Minds and Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Also, if you mention Stranger Things in a conversation she will fangirl all her emotions for the show. Karla also enjoys traveling and listening to a wide range of music, from Green Day to the score in Pride and Prejudice. You can follow her on Instagram at ms.kpg, which has a many pictures of her dog, her friends, and the occasional birthday post for Harry Potter. 
UCF Contributor