What to Look Forward to in the Upcoming Pokémon Remakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a longtime video game enjoyer, Pokémon has always been a staple in my collection of games, as it has been for many people worldwide since its initial release in 1996. The video game franchise has garnered popularity over the years for many reasons, the primary one being the ability to train, battle and capture virtual pocket monsters while traveling and acquiring gym badges. However, Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl, two nearly identical game versions released for the Nintendo DS in late 2006, have become the most memorable and enjoyable releases, according to plenty of fanbase members (including myself!) 

Nintendo heard the call of nostalgic Pokémon trainers. As a result, remakes of the games will release on November 19, under the names Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl! So, what familiar features can we expect to see from the new versions of these fan-favorites after over 15 years?

1. A Wild Sinnoh Pokémon Appears!

The beloved 4th Generation Pokémon will be back and better than ever in full HD, including popular picks such as Staraptor, Buizel and, of course, Bidoof. Unfortunately, Nintendo hasn’t released a concrete confirmation on whether or not the game will include the entire National Pokédex or until Generation 4. Still, they have announced that we will be able to have in-world companion Pokémon.

2. I’m Gonna Be the Prettiest Pokémon at the Party

Called “Super Contest Shows” in the upcoming Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl games, Super Contests will be back in full swing. Pokémon are rated based on their appearance and performance in Beauty, Cleverness, Coolness, Cuteness and Toughness in different ranks; Awards include a ribbon and a unique accessory.

3. Gotta Pokétch ’em All

Basically the game’s version of a smartwatch, the Pokétch has a variety of apps, including a calculator, a coin tosser and a hidden item searcher. The device even has a Pokémon Daycare app to check on your Pokémon and see if there is an egg waiting for you!

4. A Flair for the Dramatic

Ball stickers are back — who doesn’t want their Pokémon to arrive at battle in style, especially in a cloud of confetti?

5. Underground Rocks!

Now called the Grand Underground, this subterranean area is probably the most highly anticipated feature to return to Pokémon games, and it’s more exciting now than it was before. Players will have the ability to create a secret base filled with collectibles, mine for fossils and gemstones and find Pokémon Hideaways with exclusive species. 

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl will include other features, old and new, but the ones mentioned above are the most notable attributes of the original games. These new versions are so highly anticipated I can only hope that they meet or exceed the expectations of Pokémon game lovers and new trainers alike. 

You can pre-order either or both games at Gamestop or on the Pokémon website, including some freebies with purchase.

Allegra is a senior studying Electronic News Journalism and Political Science Pre-Law at the University of Central Florida. She loves PC gaming, collecting comic books, all things beauty, her partner, Abraham, and her dogs, Theo and Atlas. When she's not writing or reading, she can be found excessively sleeping or snacking (in typical Taurus fashion). Follow Allegra at her listed socials!