element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What to Know Before Adopting A V-Day Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This Valentine’s Day, you might be having a hard time thinking up that perfect gift to give your honey. Chocolate is too little, flowers too usual, diamonds too expensive! What are you supposed to do? Then, it hits you, what says “I love you” better than the sweet face of a small, fluffy little pal the two of you can share? Think of all the memories you two will have!

*cue Marley and Me montage*

Before you run off to the nearest shelter though, here are some important things you should know about adopting any critter into your life!

Are You Allowed to Have Pets?

First things first, does your landlord or apartment complex allow pets? If so, is there a fee you need to pay up front or even monthly? Don’t overlook this important detail, sneaking a pet is harder than you might imagine, and often is nearly impossible. Don’t get yourself into trouble or place your new buddy into a risky situation.

Remember, Free Is Not Free.

Free tabby kittens? Free German Shepherd puppies? Guess again, vet bills for a puppy or kittens first six months of life can wrack up to well over 600$. Before adopting a furry pal, make sure you can afford to take care of them too! Food, toys, beds, shots, medicines, and more are all required for your new pal to be properly taken care of. Not to mention spay or neuter surgery which can cost easily 400$. Research local kitten or puppy wellness plans at vets near you, and budget before you adopt!

Choose a Pet You Can Enjoy!

Allergic to fur? Do not go adopt any kitten or puppy, even though they are SO cute. If your allergies are too bad, you and your new pet won’t be able to have fun like you should. Choose a hypoallergenic breed, or another critter like a fish or lizard (lizards need love too!). Not allergic but super busy all day? Don’t adopt a high energy breed of dog or cat, that’s not fair to them, and you probably won’t enjoy the messes they make out of boredom.

Be Sure BEFORE You Adopt!

Before you bring your new pal home to honey, make sure that your significant other feels the same way about a pet. Do they want to split the cost? Is the pet all theirs or all yours? Most importantly, make sure your relationship is in a good place for adding a pet into the mix. Pets can be stressful, and you don’t want to stress them with a custody battle in the unfortunate event of a breakup.

If all the stars align though, you and your honey are ready to make the commitment and have done the research, all you have left to do is go pick out your perfect new pal! And remember, ADOPT DON’T SHOP!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Audrey is a Her Campus writer for University of Central Florida whom is majoring in Journalism. Along with writing, she loves to go on adventures with her Australian Shepherd, Miley, is a die-hard Steelers fan, a UCF Knight, and listens to all sorts of crazy music, volunteers at animal shelters, and loves to meet new people wherever she goes.