kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What Houseplant Is Perfect for You Based on Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Better air quality, instant decoration, and a purpose in life? What’s better than that? All jokes aside. houseplants have an insane amount of benefits. They’re relaxing and bring welcoming energy to any space. It’s also proven that houseplants help you concentrate and de-stress. Personally, they help keep me grounded by reminding me not to take life so seriously all the time and giving me something to take care of. Houseplants also do a great job of detoxifying your air, meaning with a few plants in your space you’ll be breathing better, cleaner air!

Everyone should have a houseplant. While it’s difficult to pick the right one, it’s not a science. Which is why we have astrology to help us out. These are the houseplants you should get based on your zodiac sign. They’re not too difficult to take care of, so don’t worry if you don’t have a green thumb. Even though not all houseplants are harmful when ingested by your pets, you should definitely keep plants out of their reach. I’ve added a warning on each plant that is toxic/poisonous.

Aries (March 21-April 19): Cactus

Independent and strong-willed Aries is sometimes difficult to approach, like a cactus. But, there’s still a certain element both have that just draws people in. Your attractive and passionate personality is perfectly matched as nothing stands in the way of either of you blossoming.

Care tips: Keep cacti in well-lit areas: window sills are ideal. Water about once a week or when the soil is dry.

Taurus (April 20-May 20): Snake Plant*

You value stability, Taurus, meaning a snake plant is the right fit for you. Snake plants thrive on neglect and will likely still be alive if you leave town for two weeks. You’re both reliable and unwavering.

Care tips: Indirect sunlight is perfect and allowing it to dry out before watering is the way to go. 

Gemini (May 21-June 20): Calathea

You’re versatile and energetic, which is why a calathea is perfect for you! Depending on the time of day a calathea’s leaves turn upwards or downwards, making for a fun match with your sometimes dynamic personality, Gemini.

Care tips: Keep in indirect sunlight and water when the soil is dry or about once a week.

Cancer (June 21-July 22): Aloe Vera*

Emotional and intuitive you have a maternal instinct that is incredibly healing, like aloe vera. In tune with yourself and great at reading other people, Aloe is similar in its ability to be elegant and nourishing.

Care tips: Keep it near a window as it needs a lot of sun, but not in the window. Water when the soil feels almost completely dried out. 

Leo (July 23-August 22): Fiddle Leaf Fig*

Regal, bold, and sophisticated: you’re not as intimidating as you seem, Leo! Just as stunning but definitely not high-maintenance is the fiddle leaf fig. They come in grandiose sizes, like your personality, but they’re also available in a smaller version.

Care tips: Keep a neutral environment: room temperature, indirect sunlight, and water when the soil is no longer moist. Pay attention to the leaves as they indicate if they are being over/under watered as well as getting too much or not enough sun.

Virgo (August 23-September 22): String of Pearls*

Detail, detail, detail. Similar to you, Virgo, string of pearls is beautiful and articulate in its growth. You both just keep flourishing and flourishing and flourishing!

Care tips: Keep in bright light, but not direct. Allow it to completely dry out before watering again. (Each pearl stores water!) String of pearls are toxic to cats and dogs.

Libra (September 23-October 22): Peace Lily*

Harmony and kindness are important for a peace lily, and this also goes a long way with you, Libra. Peace lilies are known for detoxifying the air, similar to Libra’s natural inclination to maintain balance.

Care tips: Peace lilies thrive in shaded areas and can even flourish under fluorescent lights and no windows. If you notice the leaves drooping a little bit then you know it’s time to be watered! Generally, keep soil moist and water about once a week. 

Scorpio (October 23-November 21): Pitcher Plant

Deceiving? Reactive? Yeah, sounds like Scorpio, and lucky for you pitcher plants are exactly the same. Pitcher plants are carnivorous and will lure in insects. They’re not afraid to be a little different from the rest, just like you Scorpio.

Care tips: Pitcher plants are very dependent on light, water, and humidity. Keep in a well-lit area, near a window is perfect and water once every few days. Do not let the soil dry out. Personally, I keep my pitcher plant in the bathroom and water her whenever the soil gets almost dry. Yes, I said her. I also keep her in the bathroom when I shower so she gets a good amount of humidity. They seem a bit high-maintenance but I promise it forms a bond, so don’t be afraid.

Sagittarius (November 22-December 21): Pothos*

A traveler, growing in all directions, letting their curiosity wander free: Sagittarius and pothos are almost identical in nature. Pothos plants are known for free spirited and versatile, with leaves that will flourish just about anywhere.

Care tips: Keep out of direct sunlight. They do well in low light, so they’re perfect for a bathroom with a window in it. Pothos can grow in dry soil or in water but just choose one. If you’re keeping it in soil water when the soil is dry. 

Capricorn (December 22-January 19): Money Tree

Practical and organized, Capricorn wouldn’t want a plant that’s too much of a nuisance, that’s why a money tree (or Guiana Chestnut) is right for you. Money trees are practical and bring a confident flair to any room, just like you Capricorn.

Care tips: Indirect sunlight and humidity are best for money trees, so a well-lit bathroom is a good place to keep it. You should let the soil dry before watering.

Aquarius (January 20-February 18): Air Plant

You’re imaginative and don’t like your freedom compromised, which is why an air plant is a perfect match for you, Aquarius. You’re both independent and can flourish in just about any condition.

Care tips: Air plants grow without dirt, so the key to growing them is to keep them in an area that is well ventilated. Water it either thoroughly mist it or place it in the sink and run water over it for a few minutes and then leave it in the sink to drain. Keep it away from direct sunlight, partial shade is perfect.

Pisces (February 19-March 20): Orchid

Pisces and orchids seem to go hand in hand: refined, delicate and intuitive. You’re bright and creative just like the leaves of an orchid, but equally as gentle.

Care tips: Most orchids are low light, but it varies depending on the type. A lot of people have trouble over watering their orchids, just remember to let whatever it is potted in (moss, soil, rocks, etc.) dry out before watering again.

*Plants are poisonous/toxic to cats, dogs, and other pets.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11,12

All photos not credited belong to author.

Krysten is a senior at UCF studying Advertising & Public Relations as well as Political Science. She's a lover of women empowerment, gardening, fashion, content creation, & the oxford comma. In addition to being a staff writer at Her Campus at UCF, she is also the chapter's Graphic Designer as well as an intern at Her Campus Nationals. When she isn't keeping up with the latest social media trends or improving her graphic design skills you can find her tending to her houseplant collection. Connect with Krysten on Instagram, Twitter, & LinkedIn.
UCF Contributor