gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Do If Your Relationship’s Rough Patch Falls On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s no secret that relationships aren’t perfect. Even the happiest and healthiest relationships have their ups and downs. Timing, as we all know, also isn’t perfect. Ideally, your relationship would be strong on holidays and during important life events, but life doesn’t always work out that way. However, relationships that conquer hardships during inconvenient times come out even stronger. If you and your loved one are in a bit of a funk this Valentine’s Day, fear not.

Sometimes Valentine’s Day can be accompanied by lots of pressure. There is pressure to get the perfect gift for your significant other (just the right balance of expensive and heartfelt), and pressure to plan a fairytale-worthy evening of romance. That kind of pressure can weigh heavy on all relationships, especially ones experiencing bumps in the road. Valentine’s Day is meant to be a fun day of celebrating love, not a trial for your relationship. 

A traditional Valentine’s Day celebration could be just what your relationship needs. If you think roses and candles will help your relationship bounce back, maybe the pressure of Valentine’s Day will be a blessing in disguise. All relationships are different, though, and some may need a different approach. Now is a good time to dig deep and think about the roots of your relationship. A low-key Valentine’s Day could be a better route. Don’t be afraid to log out of Pinterest, throw away the Victoria’s Secret catalog, and focus on the raw foundations of your relationship. Use this Valentine’s Day to slow down and remember why you fell for your loved one in the first place.

Valentine’s Day dates do not have to be intricate and theatrical to be romantic, and gifts do not have to be expensive to be meaningful.  Maybe you and your SO need a quiet night of cuddling to hone back in on each other. Or, you could grab some blankets and stargaze while thinking back to some of your favorite moments together. As far as gifts go, homemade is the way to go when you’re trying to mend a relationship. Homemade gifts are sure to make your partner feel valued and loved. Making gifts also allows you to become completely immersed in what’s good about your relationship. That could be just what you need to get back on track with your significant other.

The only people who truly understand the workings of your relationship are the people in it: you and your partner. Let go of the pressure to have a cookie cutter Valentine’s Day like you see in the movies. Don’t let your night be fogged by the desperate desire to be perfect or fix things. Instead, relax and spend a night getting back to basics with the one you love. 

Valentine’s Day might fix all your problems, but it also might not. If your rough patch lasts a little longer, don’t panic or feel like your Valentine’s Day was a bust. As long as you act as your authentic self throughout the evening, your Valentine’s Day will be a success and your relationship will soon follow. 

Photo Credit: 1, 2,

UCF Contributor