Weird Movie Musicals You Should Have Watched Yesterday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In the spirit of October, a month for all things strange, I thought I’d share some of my favorite weird movie musicals. They might not have a huge budget, or stunning special effects, or even a completely understandable plot, but they’re great for a good time and can even be a little heartwarming.

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show

This one isn’t exactly PG, and of all the movies on this list it makes the least sense, but I encourage you to give it a try. It’s not a cult classic for nothing. I mean, who doesn’t love 70’s rock sung by aliens? But seriously, Rocky Horror has a great soundtrack accompanied by some stellar performances by Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon. It’s also hysterical and confusing and it doesn’t take itself too seriously. The perfect movie to watch and remember that we’re all a little weird, so why not embrace it?

2. Labyrinth

My favorite movie of all time! For me, the best thing about it is the characters. Goblins, monsters and other creatures make the story interesting and otherworldly, but the main characters are relatable and form friendships that are deep and meaningful. They’re also mostly puppets, courtesy of Jim Henson (yeah, that one), so the movie has a lot of artistry. Oh yeah, there’s also David Bowie, who stars in the movie and also worked on most of the music. I mean, David Bowie and puppets—enough said.

3. Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors is the most like a traditional movie musical, but it’s also about a man-eating plant, so don’t get too comfortable. The soundtrack is all that you want and love from musical theater, and you can catch me belting “Somewhere That’s Green” in the shower on any given weekday morning. It’s also hilarious. From the overacting to the talking plant, I probably annoyed my roommates with my cackling.

I know college is never not busy and it’s hard to give up two hours of your day to watch a movie just ’cause some girl on the internet told you to. But sometimes we all need to rest, de-stress, and remind ourselves that while life can be strange and confusing, we’re all along for the ride, so we might as well have a little fun.

Image Sources: 123

Nicole Law is a senior majoring in Social Sciences. Her focuses are political science, anthropology, and journalism. Her interests include theater, thrifting ,weird movie musicals, and writing in the 3rd person. She also teaches group exercise classes at the RWC. You can follow her on Instagram!
UCF Contributor