This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We’ve all been victims of the public radio stations’ overplayed songs. There has always been that one song that we liked. No matter what, when that song came on we jammed out, sang, and danced, no matter how bad we were. However, like most good things, our joy over the song had to come to an end like a really great cupcake. Just like the cycle goes; we moved on (like we did with that cupcake when we had to throw away the wrapper).

Here are some of the songs that ruled the radio and disappeared when we moved on:

“Umbrella”

There was a time where if I heard Rihanna singing “ella, ella ellaaaaaaa,” I would’ve chucked something at the radio. This song ruled the charts for a while and was unstoppable. It seemed like the reign would never end. However, one day it did, and to be honest- I haven’t thought about it much since. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has finally been able to listen to it without cringing for the first time in a few years.

“Love Song”

I love Sara Bareilles, I really do. When this song came out I was in love with it before it even got popular. Then, when it started getting more airtime on the radio, it blew up. I couldn’t stay in the choir or theatre room without someone walking over to the piano and playing the riff. Every time someone did, I glared at them from the across the room. This song doesn’t bother me now, but I was very happy when I finally stopped hearing it on the radio for a while.

“Keep Your Head Up”

Andy Grammer sure knows how to record a hit. Too bad I wanted to change the station every time it came on once it got super popular. If I had to hear one more group sing-along, I think my head might’ve exploded.

“Bubbly”

Colbie Caillat is a talented woman. Her songs are relaxing and great to sing along to. It’s hard not to sing “Bubbly” when it comes on the radio now, but back in the day, I knew to change the station as soon as I heard “Will you count me in?” I wouldn’t mind hearing this on the radio more now though.

“Single Ladies”

I’m not a Beyoncé hater, I swear. This song was WAY too overplayed (to the point where I wanted to erase my “single” status on Facebook so the song wouldn’t apply to me). The first time I was able to even get some amusement out of the song after it blew up, was when Justin Timberlake teamed up wit Andy Samberg on SNL. They did a sketch as backup dancers for the video of “Single Ladies” while wearing heels and leotards. Everything aside though, Beyoncé is still queen.

“Rude”

It was RUDE of the radio stations to keep playing this song two or three times every hour. I am so glad we’ve moved on from this.

“Party Rock Anthem”

The shuffle needed to die. That’s all I really have to say. Way overplayed. Like every dance fad, it died with LMFAO.

“Beautiful Girls”

Anyone remember Sean Kingston? He’s the one that sang that remake of  “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King, called “Beautiful Girls” that snuck its way into the radio playlists. It was catchy and cool at first, but after the 10th time, it just got old. Plus, you can’t beat the original song it stemmed from.

“Call Me Maybe”

I love Carly Rae Jepsen. She’s actually really talented and after having met her twice, she’s a very sweet and humble woman. However, even I got annoyed with this song a little. She knows how to create a hit though, and I’m pretty excited over her new single “I Really Like You”.

“Ho Hey”

This may have been overplayed, but it’s a lot less annoying than some of the other overplayed songs. I really wish we could’ve heard another single from The Lumineers on the radio. They actually have some great songs. I guess now “he’s just somebody that we used to know.”

“I Love It”

“I don’t care, I love it!” Well, I don’t love it. This single by Icona Pop was a staple for a while, and it came and went just like “Hello” by Martin Solveig and Dragonette. It’s only a matter of time until the next song like this comes along.

“Let It Rock”

“Because when I arrive, I bring the fire.” Well Kevin Rudolph, you brought the fire, but it died out with your song. He had one other single after this that didn’t do too well, and we haven’t heard anything new on the radio since then. That’s okay though, “Let It Rock” was played enough to last us for a lifetime.

“Somebody That I Used To Know”

So there was this cool guy named Gotye and he sang this unique song. We were obsessed with it. Then he disappeared and we haven’t heard anything from him since…

“Here (In Your Arms)”

Literally this was the only single ever heard by Hellogoodbye on the radio. This wasn’t overplayed nearly as much as the other songs, but it was definitely forgotten after we moved onto the next song. I suggest we all revisit this song because it needs to be revived.

“Fireflies”

Owl City really broke out into the mainstream with this song. It was great, and a radio treat, when I got out of school for the day. That is, until I started hearing it multiple times every hour on each station I switched to. We’ve heard more music from Owl City since this, and thankfully none of the songs have been played as much as this one.

Whatever songs the radio ruined for us, we still get nostalgic when we hear them again after some time has passed. It’s a never-ending cycle. We sing, we dance, and we move on to the next radio hit. 

UCF Contributor