The War on I-4: A Recap of UCF’s Historic Win Against USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you didn’t already know, our football team is killing it this season. We’re kinda undefeated just a little. *cough* 11-0 *cough* November 24th, 2017 marked the most anticipated game of the season against USF. I don’t know about you, but I’m was biting my nails throughout the entire game. Not only was this game monumental in the aspect of it being against our rival, but the stands were filled with our students, alumni, parents, and family, and USF fans packed like sardines waiting for the game to commence. 

Image credited to Alyssa Mickle

Image credited to Becca Turner

If you were in the stands, or at home watching online, you were cheering for our knights and singing the fight song loud and proud. I would hate to see how the stands looked after our students charged out of there.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane to the most nerve-wracking game of the season. Let the memes speak for themselves.

1ST Quarter

When USF got the first touchdown by McCants (#8) in the first few minutes of the 1st quarter. When our defender was getting dragged, we were getting dragged.

But then our guys reminded them of who’s house it is by playing a little game of hot potato between Milton (#10) and Killins Jr. (#9) and leading the Knights into the second quarter with 21-7

2nd Quarter

When USF missed their punt, but then they scored another touchdown by Wilcox (#89) to lead us into the 3rd quarter neck in neck with 21-20

But once again, our boys didn’t let us down. Hughes made a huge interception and saved us from a hugeee disappointment.  (#19)

3rd Quarter

When Davis (#13) scored, and we thought we were safe and sound, but then USF’s player, Tice (#19) intercepted the ball and then Flowers (#9) scored a touchdown leading us into the 4th quarter 34-28.

4th Quarter

When Milton (#10) passed the ball to Snelson (#5), and he had the Knights in a point lead ahead of the Bulls and then Anderson (#26) scored a touchdown to bring the score to 42-34.

When USF player, Flowers (#9) threw an 83-yard touchdown pass to Salomon (#3), and then Johnson (#2) ties the game with a 2-pt conversion 42-42.

The faces of some of our UCF students says it all. UCF Freshman, Sarah Frost, wasn’t happy at all. I’m here with you girl. (Picture courtesy of Sarah Frost)

But then Hughes (#19) once again reminds these Bulls where they are and responds to the tying touchdown with a 95-yard kick return for a touchdown for the Knights: 49-42 We felt as if we had just walked out of a battle.

Although emotions were running at an all-time high throughout this game and they had us in the beginning, we proved that our football team will end up on top.

Because we came out on top, our flag is now flying high over Tampa’s City Hall because Tampa Mayor, Bob Buckhorn loss a bet with our mayor, Budd Dyer.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gFrJLnwnRk

Go Knight and…

Stats credited to ESPN

Thumbnail picture credited to Jacqueline Young from UCF Football Facebook Page

Lincy is a Senior at UCF majoring in Social Work with a minor in Sociology. She was born in Haiti, but raised in Florida. She loves spending most of her free time volunteering with children. If she's not volunteering, you can find her on Netflix watching her favorite shows -- Criminal Minds, Supernatural, or New Girl. If you want to keep up with what she's doing, follow her on her socials. 
UCF Contributor