Vitamin Supplements: Are They Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We have always had plenty of vitamin supplements at the pharmacy for our use. This trend is not new. However, there have been some misconceptions/misinformation on whether or not vitamin supplements are worth the purchase.

Of course vitamins are good for our health, but is it better to get those vitamins naturally or through taking a supplement? At our age it is very important to stay healthy, so we need to be informed on the best way to remain our best!

An easy way to tell if you need to take these supplements or if you can pass by the pharmacy at the store is to think about your diet. If your diet is well balanced and containing all of the food groups then it is quite possible that you have plenty of your necessary vitamins. But always consider visiting your doctor or nutritionist to really determine the best solution for you.

This is a list of the most helpful vitamins for our health. It also includes alternatives to some not-so-healthy medications.

Iron

What does it do?
Iron helps to carry oxygen throughout the body as well as helping in the production of red blood cells. Iron is essential for proper cell growth.

Where do we get it?
Most meats, beans, cereal and green leafy veggies.

Should we take it?
Iron is not easily absorbed, so if your diet were lacking in those iron rich foods, it could mean that your body would benefit from an iron supplement.

Vitamin A

What does it do?
Vitamin A helps support our immune system. It also ensures the development and function of our eyes, skin, and many other parts of our beautiful bodies.

Where do we get it?
Leafy green vegetables, yellow and green veggies, tomatoes, fish and fortified cereal.

Should we take it?
Vitamin A does play a vital role in our vision. Also, research has suggested that A may prevent some types of cancer and improve immune function. All of these are important but not necessary – so you can decide.

Omega 3-Fatty Acids

What does it do?
It assists in brain function and is important for cognitive and behavioral functions. It also helps to reduce high blood pressure.

Where do we get it?
FISH. Fish is the main way to get your daily dose of Omega 3’s.

Should we take it?
The best way to receive these fatty acids is naturally by eating fresh fish. If your taste buds are unhappy with fish, then a fish oil supplement would be beneficial.

Vitamin D

What does it do?
D promotes appropriate calcium absorption needed for bone growth. It also helps with immune function and reduction of inflammation.

Where do we get it?
Milk, cheese and other dairy products as well as some fatty fish. However, most people receive part of their consumption from exposure to sunlight.

Should we take it?
This is a vitamin that is very, very beneficial to our health because without sufficient amounts of vitamin D our bones are highly affected. However, vitamin D is usually consumed in natural ways. Dairy products do provide us with vitamin D, so drinking milk is highly recommended.

Coenzyme Q10

What does it do?
CoQ10 is necessary for cell function and is a powerful antioxidant. It also helps manage our body’s energy supply.

Where do we get it?
CoQ10 actually occurs naturally in our body. Production just decreases as we get older.

Should we take it?
No. Because it happens naturally, it is unnecessary to buy a supplement.

These are five vitamins that are healthy for women, yet we don’t know too much about. Hopefully, this encourages some further research into the world of vitamins to determine if a supplement is right for you. What we all should have learned is that a healthy diet is necessary and prevents illness and wasted money at the pharmacy. As a helpful reminder, always contact your doctor with questions and concerns.  

Keegan is a sophomore at UCF majoring in Environmental Studies and is part of the HCUCF team as an editorial writer. Keegan is obsessed with all things Disney and is currently training for a marathon. If she survives, she will attend law school and dedicate her life to making the hospitality industry as environmentally friendly as possible. 
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler