This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We have this stigma that we always need to be doing something productive. We’re all victims of constantly being in the mindset of “go, go, go” until we’re burnt out. It’s important to promote a healthy lifestyle of caring for yourself, whether it’s for five minutes a day, or an hour. Here are some tips that can help to boost your energy and self-esteem. 

Facemasks, long showers, or pampering

Find time in the day or at night to take longer to get ready for the day or for bed. Find soothing face masks to help you relax. Spend time taking a long shower, even if you don’t have to wash your hair.

Naps

If you’re still tired from the night before, it’s important to take a power nap of about 30 minutes to recharge your energy. Catching those Z’s could change a grade received from a low B to a higher one. 

Exercise

This could be as intense or as easy as you want. Exercising is a great way to release endorphins and often helps with relieving stress. If the gym isn’t your thing, try going outside for 30 minutes to power walk, ride a bike, or just stroll through a park. It’s important to get out of the house when all of your time is spent online for classes and work. 

Read self-improvement books

If you ever find yourself struggling with life in general, there are so many books out there for anything you’re struggling with. It’s okay to need extra help, especially during a pandemic. 

Wear makeup and get dressed up, just because

I’ve done this a few times during quarantine. We spend our days inside, on Zoom calls and in meetings and virtual classes. The only part of our body being shown is the top half, so most people wear pajamas the whole day. It can be draining and a blow to the ego when every day is the same, always staying in and not needing to get put together. Even if you’re just going to the grocery store, wear a cute outfit (put the sweats in the laundry basket) and maybe add a little color to your eyes or throw on some simple makeup. 

Listen to music

Music can impact your mood and improve your day, depending on what you listen to and when you listen to it. If you’re feeling stressed, I recommend listening to more soothing and chill music. I usually listen to Spotify’s Chill Pop or Contemporary Blend playlists. If you need more of a mood boost, I recommend listening to loud music to pretend you’re at a concert (RIP concerts).

End the day by watching a funny movie or show

This depends on how your brain works. Some people are morning people, so they get work and assignments done earlier in the day and can relax after dinner. This would be the best time to just watch a funny movie or show. If you’re better at doing assignments or working late at night, start your day off with some TV. This will give your brain a break from studying and reading dense materials. 

Every day feels the same and meshed together during a pandemic, so the days can feel endless and never-ending. It’s okay to take some time for yourself, whether it’s a five-minute study break or a whole day for a mental break.

Hannah enjoys romcoms, young adult fiction books, and binging Netflix shows. When she's not procrastinating, she finds herself writing stories as her dream is to become a published book author one day.
UCF Contributor