UCF’s Guide to Galentine’s Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s that time of year again, and while many are holding hands and buying heart shaped boxes of chocolate, others are blasting ‘Bad Blood’ and ‘Single Ladies’ in their cars. So we totally get that Valentine’s Day can cause some headaches. This brings us to the next best thing, Galentine’s Day. A day specifically dedicated to #GirlPower and your squad.  So wether you have a significant other or not  here’s your UCF guide on what to do with your gal pals on the sassiest day of the year. Because there’s nothing wrong with celebrating the love you have for your BFF (who, let’s face it, is your real main squeeze).

Head to Paws in the Park 

Start the weekend at Orlano’s largest pet walk at Lake Eola with your furry four-legged BAE. Even if you don’t have one, chances are there will be hundreds to pet! Although participation in the event raises funds to care for 8,000 dogs and cats without a home. 

Head over to their site for more information on when the even takes place. 

Dance the night away at Knight Library’s Single Saturdays

First of all, could this name be any more fitting for the occasion? (I think not) 

Second, this is your chance to hit the dance floor with your squad and for those that are part of the twenty-one and up club, take advantage of the drink speacials that are going on. A dollar really does make us holler sometimes. 

http://www.knightlibrary.com/

Take cute pictures with refreshing treats

Head over to The Pop Parlour with your bestie and enjoy a delicious popsicle in the Florida sun. Meanwhile snap some pictures because eating cute food is always a great chance for a photo op. 

Brunch date with your day one 

Because honestly, who doesn’t love brunch? It’s the perfect way to celebrate! 

Our go to spot is Briarpatch, because the raspberry lemon pancakes are to die for. 

Get your fitness on with your bestie

This is the perfect time to work on your #SB2k16 bod (something I keep telling myself every day).  Break a sweat at the UCF Recreation and Wellness Center and take advantage of a less populated gym. You can even hit up some fun group excercise classes like cardio dance hype or yoga. 

Host an Anti-Valentine’s Day party

If you really want to put the gal in Galentine’s day, host a party specifically dedicated to enjoying time with your main ladies. This idea can be so versatile and doesn’t need much work or planning. The world is really your oyester with this one. You can either go out to dinner together or even have a few friends over at your dorm sharing snacks and listening to Taylor Swift.  (This may or may not just be a sleepover)

Have a cookie party 

Make some cookies and get creative while decorating.

Order a heart shaped pizza from Lazy Moon 

(Or just any pizza for that matter) #TreatYoSelf

Attend To Write Love on Her Amrs’ open mic night

To Write Love on Her Arms at UCF will be hosting an open mic night in the student union at 7 p.m. on Sunday.  The event will include an art gallery with works from local artists, as well as performances by spoken word poets, dancers, and singers from UCF. 

For more information about this event, check out their Facebook page

Watch Valentine’s Day

Last but not least, as cheesy as it sounds, grab your main gal (or gals) and watch a rom-com. I highly recommend ‘Valentine’s Day’to see baby Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner share the same screen. 

images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11

Paula is a senior Advertising and Public Relations major at UCF, patiently waiting to be mistaken as an Italian international pop senstation while on a school trip. She loves pizza, superhero movies, making her friends take pictures with her and caraoke. When she's not signging her heart out in the car, you can catch her trying to find the next best place to eat at in Orlando. Follow her on Instagram and see what her (food) dreams are made of. 
UCF Contributor