UCF Men’s Soccer Alumni Drafted for the MLS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every year, Major League Soccer (MLS) has a superdraft when they draft collegiate soccer players from all over the US to join MLS teams. This year, two recent UCF graduates from the men’s soccer team were drafted: Cal Jennings and Jonathan Dean.

Cal Jennings from Roswell, Georgia started at UCF as a freshman. He already had many previous accomplishments from high school, earning Player of the Year with 33 goals and 11 assists. Starting in nine out of twelve matches as a freshman, you could clearly see he had star potential. He scored a goal and three assists, with a total of 14 shots. Sophomore year he was named American Offensive Player of the Week and the All-Conference Team, scoring a total of seven goals. As a junior Jennings was already making headlines at UCF, being named American Offensive Player of the Week, making into the United Soccer Coaches First Team, First Team All-East Region, and more accomplishments. He made three hat tricks and took 51 shots on goal. Senior year, Jennings was awarded Offensive Player of the Week, Offensive Player of the Year and made it into the All Conference Team, United Soccer Coaches First Team. He summed up his career at UCF with 40 career goals and 4 hat tricks. On January 9​, Jennings was drafted by the #2 MLS ranked team: FC Dallas.

The pick is in! Cal is headed to @fcdallas #⚡️?

A post shared by UCF Men’s Soccer (@ucf.msoccer) on

Jonathan Dean from Macon, Georgia started off at Wafford College and then came to UCF as a sophomore. Upon entering the team he started 15 out of 16 games and he scored the game-winning goal against UConn. He made four assists and four shots and also helped with shutouts against SMU, Northwestern and Cincinnati. He assisted in a game against North Florida and Memphis. Junior year he was awarded Defensive Player of the Week and played eight games for the Knights. As a senior he earned the title of captain. Dean’s fourth year of his collegiate career was extended by continuing his position as captain for one more season. He was drafted for Orlando City SC who is ranked #11 in the MLS. 

View this post on Instagram

The Captain is staying in Orlando! #⚡️?

This is the second time two players have been drafted in the same season. These are the first players to be drafted with Scott Calabrese as coach, and also the eighth and nine drafted in UCF Men’s Soccer history. We wish them luck in their professional careers!

Maitane is a junior who is majoring in Journalism and double minoring in Political Science/Pre-Law and Sports Business Management. She enjoys watching How I Met Your Mother reruns, finding new music, and going to concerts with her friends. She's a bit of a shopaholic due to her love for fashion. When she's not in class she's either writing her book or watching soccer matches.
UCF Contributor