UCF Declassified: A Freshman Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I’ve learned some tips and tricks for navigating the nation’s largest university over the past four years. The University of Central Florida boasts over 70,000 undergraduate and graduate students, eight million square feet of main campus area, and 106 different bachelor’s programs. I couldn’t be prouder to be a Knight, but I know this huge community can be overwhelming to come into. Here are 10 things you should know before arriving in Orlando.

Follow all ucf affiliated Instagram accounts

First of all, follow pretty much every UCF Instagram account you can find. UCF Student Government, the RWC, CAB, Late Knights, and more will post about giveaways, news and events throughout the semester.

Always sit in the Cool student section at football games

UCF football games are glorious displays of American and school pride, with plenty of fanfare to go around, and you’ll want to sit in the student section across from the big screen to experience it all to the fullest. You’ll need to download the UCF Knights app specifically for athletic events to get your free student ticket, but your ticket doesn’t guarantee entry to the game. There’s limited seating in the student section, so get to the game a few hours early (I know, it sounds crazy), and there will probably already be a line at the student gates. On the bright side, singers perform outside the stadium before the game, Knugget and Pegasus sometimes stroll by for pets, and restaurants often set up food trucks, so you might get to be entertained in line. Last but not least, always check the UCF Knights Instagram account to find out what color to wear to the game, so you don’t get caught wearing white to an anthracite game!

everyone goes feral for free universal tickets

Distribution methods for tickets have changed over the last few years, but Universal Knights remains the same. Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park remains open extra late (usually until 1 am) exclusively for UCF students on one Sunday in April. Although students often camp out four hours early on distribution days, the hype often dies down on the last day or two, so don’t panic if you’re not able to go until the last distribution day. You might barely wait in the line, but you still need to show up before the distribution time begins. If you want to guarantee a ticket, show up at least a few hours prior.

You can kayak, take yoga classes, run in the stadium, do Zumba, and more for free

The Recreation and Wellness Center offers kayaking at Lake Claire, rock climbing in the gym and countless group exercise classes. You can even have a free one-on-one meeting with a personal trainer! Once again, UCF has thousands of students using these resources, so make sure to reserve your spot in group workout classes up to 24 hours before to guarantee entry. Those F45 HIIT sessions are extremely popular.

There are tons of sweet spots on campus

Right next to the Reflecting Pond sits Topper’s Creamery, where ice cream cones are $1.50 on Wednesdays. They feature vanilla, chocolate and fun weekly flavors. Pineapple Dole Whip and blueberry are two of the most recent ones! Pop Parlour is also a great place to cool off and satisfy your sweet tooth with a Nutella popsicle, or an iced cafe con leche (it’s to die for). I also heard an acai bowl vendor is coming to the Student Union, so your cravings will always be satisfied.

be prepared to stand in lines. a lot of lines.

The sheer volume of students at UCF never ceases to amaze me, and it’s especially apparent when any kind of free stuff is being distributed. You might see a post from the UCF student union Instagram account about free shirts for their birthday, and decide to check it out. Little do you know that the line for said shirts is already wrapping around the union and they haven’t even begun distributing yet. Many instances like this occur at UCF, so either show up early for freebies, or they’ll probably already be out once you arrive. The lines also go for restaurants. I hate to break it to you, but you have almost no chance of leaving a class at 11:45, grabbing food, and making it to your 12:00 on time (yes, even if your class is right by the union).

always bring a sweatshirt to class

The Orlando heat is no joke, and the humidity may make you feel like you’re drowning, but UCF keeps that A/C cranked. BA1 and Foxtail are both notorious for feeling like a blizzard when you walk in, so have a sweatshirt or cardigan handy on campus.

True Knights Live and Breathe Spirit Splash

Spirit Splash is UCF’s epic homecoming tradition. At noon on the Friday of homecoming week, students run into the Reflecting Pond to fight each other for rubber ducks being thrown into the pond by members of student government, homecoming royalty nominees, and possibly student-athletes. These ducks are unique every year, and there’s a limited number of them, so catching one is a great source of pride for every Knight who’s strong enough and fast enough to do it. The Spirit Splash t-shirts are also a coveted prize, but these you’ll have to get in line early Friday morning for (see what I’m saying about lines?).

The fifth floor of the library is the most elite study spot

Since the library renovations and expansion, many students don’t even know there is a fifth floor to the library. I’m here to tell you there is, and it’s the best quiet study spot on campus. Dead silence, exclusively individual desks with varying setups, electrical outlets at every station and a view of the Reflecting Pond create the perfect environment for cramming or homework. You can’t access this floor from the new side of the library, so go up one of the staircases or elevators on the old side by Java City, and keep going up until you find the quiet floor of your dreams. A side note — if you need a space to study with friends, reserve the library study room online a week in advance (the rooms are reserved within an hour of new reservations being released).

never step on the student union seal

If you want to graduate, you won’t do it. Ever.

There you have it! 10 things to know that will make your life as a freshman at UCF easier. Follow these guidelines and you just might survive — I mean graduate. As a senior, it’s my pleasure to impart Knightly wisdom to you all. I’ll leave you with this: Go Knights, Charge on!

Kristina is a senior majoring in Finance with a minor in Psychology. When she's not at a coffee shop or going for a run, you can catch her suffering at the library questioning her life choices. She loves watching college football and writing for HerCampus!