Trying To Be Hot… When You’re Just Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Some girls are just…. Hot. I’m not saying that every girl isn’t beautiful in their own unique way, because they are. But some girls just lucked out in the college bar-scene gods department. Most of the time they have the long beautiful hair, wear those American Apparel shorts (you know the ones I’m talking about) paired with some type of tight crop top that shows off the grade A figure that they have been blessed with. When their posse rolls into the bar, the cute guy who you thought was giving you “the look” suddenly looses interest and begins to formulate a new conquest. What do they have that we don’t?! Why do they deserve all of the attention and free drinks while the rest of us are left to hangout with the security guard who-lets face it- is old enough to be friends with your dad.

I’ve tried over the years to pretend that I am naturally hot, but it is much easier said than done. Those booty shorts are extremely tight and I often find myself having to unbutton them if I wish to sit down for long periods of time. If you wear a body-con tight crop top don’t even think about eating before hand! (And I require food about every hour.)  Makeup can assist in the hotness department but only so much. Putting on eye shadow requires some degree of artistic ability, which apparently I am lacking in. Because of this I usually stick to my usual five-dollar eyeliner and mascara getup.  

As if all of that isn’t a lot to handle, being hot isn’t just the cleavage and the smoky eye- it is a mentality. When talking to guys, hot girls don’t have to carry on intellectual or entertaining conversations; while I have to pull out every embarrassing story I’ve got to keep the convo going.  The guys actually keep the conversation going! They have it so easy. It must be nice not having to come up with a witty comeback to the question “What’s your major?” for the millionth time. Hot girls simply smile, laugh when it’s appropriate, and maybe ask for the occasional refill. I once told a guy at a bar that I had lurked his grandmothers Facebook after she tagged him in a photo… I like to think that’s as bad as it gets. So you’re not that girl that every fraternity is begging to have as their sweetheart. But WHO CARES?

The first step is acceptance. I am not, and will never be “hot” but I have some other qualities I like to think are pretty cool. Due to my lack of hotness, I’ve learned to make people laugh and like me for my awkwardness. Being smart and having a sense of humor are things that guys are looking for in the long run. It is so easy to get down on yourself in college because the hot guy on campus hasn’t drunk texted you to come over at 3 am (Obviously you would never go, but it’s the thought that counts!) Don’t be! Quit trying to be hot when you’re not, and just be you! Do things that you love and make you happy, and I promise the good guys will come flocking. 

UCF Contributor