The Truth About Having an Identical Twin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It seems like everyone nowadays wants an identical twin, but is double the trouble really double the fun?

People always ask me what it’s like having a twin, but the truth is I have never known anything different. Growing up with a clone by my side has definitely had its ups and downs, but I would not trade it in for anything. Although, I have had to learn the hard way how to cope with not only sharing a birthday buddy, but with sharing a whole other identity.

I have mastered the act of discreetly mentioning my name when I start a conversation with people, because I am always scared that they aren’t sure which twin I am. Nothing is worse than talking to someone and then having them say, “It was so good catching up with you, *insert twin’s name here*.” Sometimes people really do see us as one person instead of two, and that is something that I’ve had to get used to over the years. Even though we are separated now and go to different colleges, I still find myself turning my head whenever I hear her name being called because I have grown up having to do it my whole life. I try not to get mad whenever someone calls me by the wrong name, but it usually results in a snarky comment and a fake smile.

I have also mastered the act of answering the same daunting questions over and over again.

Which one of you is older?

Does a minute really count as “older”?

Is twin telepathy really a thing?

Hahahaha…no.

If you get hurt does the other twin feel it?

I’m not really sure but I also don’t really want to find out.

Can you stand beside each other so I can see if I can tell the difference?

You know what, I would love to, but I’m not an animal at the zoo.

Why are you not dressed the same?

I think we grew out of that stage the moment we came out of the womb. I did steal this shirt from her closet though…

What if you two got mixed up at birth?

I already get called her name so often that I probably wouldn’t bat an eye.

Having an identical twin isn’t all that bad. There is always a fun fact and a conversation starter to pull whenever I meet new people. This always ends with me scrolling through my phone to find a picture of us because no one ever believes me. I can’t imagine what growing up would be like without having a partner in crime by my side all the time. I was never lonely as a kid and that is something I am forever grateful for.   

Photo credit: Image 1,Image 2, Image 3, Image 4Image 5, Image 6

Nicole is a sophomore at UCF studying Entertainment Management (her Hogwarts letter unfortunately never arrived). When she is not at Chick-fil-a or Chipotle, you can find her gossiping to her friends about all of the latest celeb drama. This concert enthusiast can also be found in the very front of every concert, because front row is the only way to go. Her favorite color is Niall Horan's eyes and her worst fear is Harry Styles cutting his hair (update: the lucious locks have been cut and Nicole is currently in hiding). Her secret husband Justin Bieber would describe her as a fun, cat loving soul, who loves adventure a little too much. 
UCF Contributor