This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There’s nothing more disappointing than seeing the change in someone’s face when you tell them you’re an art major. I’ve had many encounters where, the moment I say this, I’m ignored, talked over, or get the “That’s what you’re doing with your life?” look. There are countless stereotypes and false assumptions associated with pursuing any career in the arts. Once you can get past the fear and the criticism, you grow more as a person and as an artist.

People will often make assumptions about you without even bothering to get to know you or the work you do. We’re labeled as dumb, messy, laid back or unprofessional when in reality, it’s the complete opposite of this. It’s so difficult to be respected and taken seriously outside of the art world. It’s not as easy as just picking up a pencil and drawing. Many people don’t understand the amount of time and thought that goes into the process of concepts and ideas. Just like everyone else, there are times where we get stuck or are critiqued harshly, and it’s hard to recover. It’s anything but easy.

Unsplash

As an artist myself, it’s very difficult to hear these things sometimes and stay quiet. Art is a constant battle of trial and error, but isn’t everything in life trial and error? People don’t realize how offensive and hurtful it can be, but as someone who has been in this position, I know how much time, effort, and hard work it takes. When faced with this, I get the urge to defend myself and the need to prove myself to others. At the end of the day — you don’t have to prove anything to anyone.

What makes art so beautiful is that there isn’t a right or wrong way to do it; there isn’t a manual or a formula. Your imagination is your only limit. I know it can seem scary because it’s such a wide spectrum, but I think that’s what makes it so liberating. There are endless forms of art in which you can express yourself through — all being unique in their own way. I think art is so important because it’s one of the oldest ways of storytelling. Life moves so quickly and it’s gone before we know it, but we’re able to capture these moments through art and carry them with us.

Colorful spray paint hearts wall
Renee Fisher on Unsplash
Art connects people in unexplainable ways. It’s the international language that we all share regardless of origin, religion, status, sex, or political beliefs. It’s raw, honest, vulnerable, and speaks out on so many levels. There’s always going to be people discouraging you and distracting you from your path, but if you’re happy, nothing else should matter.

“Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” — Dead Poets Society
Alexandra is a senior at the University of Central Florida, originally from Miami, Florida. She is majoring in Graphic Design and loves photography. When she's not at the beach, you can find her cooking, reading or binging New Girl.
UCF Contributor