Treasures Galore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

For the antique enthusiast, it is a treasure trove of goodies. For the poor college student, it is an ocean of jewelry and knick-knacks. For those with more lucrative intentions, it offers unique furniture and collectors’ items. What could this possibly describe? It is none other the Renningers Extravaganza!

Renningers Extravaganza is an antique fair, a flea market, and a farmers market all in one. It travels to Florida three times a year in a little town called Mount Dora. Every third weekend of January, February, and November, the town is flooded with people ready to partake in the event. Being only forty-five minutes away from campus, this event is great for UCF students.

Now I’m sure many of you are thinking this is just another flea market. Wrong. It’s called an extravaganza for a reason! The entire event is located on 117 acres. There are over 1,000 vendors located both inside and outside. Thus, visitors can alternate between the fresh air and sunshine to air-conditioned buildings. Different vendors have different treasures; many of them have saved special merchandise just for this event.

These treasures can range from jewelry, professional artwork, tools, flowers, produce, tribal antiques, fur coats, furniture, vintage surf boards – and this hasn’t even scratched the surface. “They offer quite the variety,” says Sandy Stewart, an avid Renningers attender. “There are things you’ve never seen before, and things you may never see again.”

Sandy learned of Renningers Extravaganza through Southern Living magazine. She made her first trip with her sisters in 2002, and has been hooked ever since. “I knew I wanted to keep going back. You discover something new every time.”

Sandy recommends that you make this trip a group event, whether it’s with friends or family. “You need all the help you get, with opinions on what to buy and with carrying everything to your car. Make it a fun weekend! Go out to dinner, or go out on the town. There’s usually live music in Mount Dora on those nights.”

Vendor Highlight
A unique contribution to the extravaganza is the Pink Eyed Sissies. First year vendors, Sandi Pfeffer and Sue Losey, have transformed their creativity into a business. These sisters travel around the nation, buying antique and vintage items for their one of a kind jewelry.

They start with antique optometrist lenses as the necklace charms. Vintage postcards and greeting cards are cut to create the picture within the lenses. To add to the design of the necklace, Sandi and Sue use all antique beads, crystals, rosaries, and buttons. The final creation results in charming and unique necklaces, and the attenders at Renningers loved them!

Full details of the Pink Eyed Sissies and their necklaces can be found at http://www.pinkeyedsissies.com/

You don’t need be a fan of “American Pickers” on History Channel to love this event (although you will love it twice as much if you are)! If you missed the January and February affairs, be sure to make it to the next one in November. This could be both a weekend getaway with your friends and a chance to find some unique Christmas presents. It’s definitely worth marking in your planner!