This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Korean media has been on the rise for some time now, whether it’s K-pop or Korean-made movies, people have obtained an interest in Korean culture and it’s serious. If you’re someone interested in expanding your horizons through Korean movies and TV series; this is the article for you.

Here is a list of my top 5 K-dramas I believe everyone should watch regardless of new or old to the genre of Korean series.

1. Another oh hae young (2016)

Another Oh Hae Young follows the story of two women who share the same name, but also, unfortunately, the same destiny with one man, Park Do Kyung, who mysteriously can predict the future, especially when it comes to one of the Oh Hae Youngs. 

This K-drama was one of the firsts I ever watched, and eight years later, it continues to be in my top two of my favorite K-dramas. It was a series with the best romantic comedy I’ve ever watched, both in K-dramas and in TV shows in general. The actress who plays the protagonistic role of Oh Hae Young has a way of acting that makes the watcher consumed by the suffering of the character. Every moment she cried on screen, I could not help but be choked up as she was a character so kind and livelythat any misfortune that came her way felt unjust. 

Another Oh Hae Young, even when now considered an older K-drama, is a must-watch that I recommend to anyone, especially when each kiss or hug the protagonists shared felt so genuine it will make you believe true love does actually exist. It’s a drama where you will cry, laugh, and at times, even get frustrated, but even through all that, it becomes a series that turns into a sweet memory in your heart. 

2. See You On my 19th Life (2023)

See You on My 19th Life shares the tale of the endless reincarnation that our protagonist, Ban Ji-eum, has been subjected to since her first life. But when Ji-um reaches her 18th life, a tragic incident occurs that cuts it short; therefore, she is persistent in dedicating her next reincarnation to finding her now grown-up childhood love, Mun Seo-ha. 

This enchanting K-drama became part of my top three from the moment that I began watching it. Not only is the OST (Colde – Star) one of the best songs a K-drama has had, but the acting from the female lead left me in a daze each episode. This K-drama was exquisitely crafted and every moment was captivating and delightful. It possesses an engaging plot, accompanied by celestial music, and a romance so innocent and devoid of toxic behavior that it’s impossible not to end the series craving for more. 

If you are seeking a K-Drama that’s refreshing and filled with heart-fluttering moments— See you in My 19th Life is a series you just can’t skip. 

3. When the Camellia Blooms (2019)

When the Camellia Blooms follows the story of Dongbaek and her eight-year-old son. Dongbaek, a single mother, is the owner of Camellia Bar in a small neighborhood. She faces many challenges that come with being a single mother in Korea as she seeks to settle down with her son in a small town. Dongbaek’s life becomes much more difficult when a notorious killer has their eyes set on her as their next victim. 

This K-drama stood out to me from the start due to it being one of the very few that showcases in a non-judgemental manner the struggles of a single mother. Though this may be a norm in American culture, Korea remains conservative to the point where single parents are still facing judgments in 2024.

When the Camellia Blooms possesses a romance that melts the heart, and each of the stories of the characters is relevant and heartwarming. This series was able to combine both the serious and unserious moments surprisingly well. The comedy that lingers throughout the episodes is undoubtedly one of the best in any K-drama I have ever watched. It’s addictive and mindblowing, considering it has a theme of mystery and suspense mixing with the lively elements of the series. 

If you want to spend an entire day watching a K-Drama that touches on relevant issues, but still has moments of simplicity, When the Camellia Blooms must be the one you choose to watch. It might start like a normal drama, but it soon enough twists into a journey that will have you thinking of how our society treats women and parents living in a situation like Dongbeak.

4. My Demon (2023)

My Demon depicts the story of icy heiress, Do Do-hee, and Jeong Gu-won, a demon that loses his powers temporarily after a misty encounter with the cynical heiress. After the disappearance of his powers, Gu-won must ensure that Do-hee is protected from any of the dangers that linger around her. Especially when her adoptive siblings embark on a deadly power journey to prevent Do-hee from becoming Mirae’s CEO after the mysterious death of her adoptive mother. This causes Do-hee and Gu-won to enter a marriage of convenience; Gu-won to seek answers and a solution in how to gain his powers back, and Do-hee— to accomplish the sole condition her late mother implemented for her to become the CEO of Mirae— to marry.

This K-Drama became one of my favorites in the second half of 2023, especially with how the two protagonists were depicted throughout the series. Do-hee is not the typical female lead who needs saving from someone. She is smart and hardworking, she’s busy fending for herself as her evil family tries their best to place any obstacle possible in her path. She knows her value and does not allow anyone to intimidate her. When it comes to Gu-won, our attractive demon, it was surprising to me how different the character was from other male protagonists who fall into the “mysterious”, or “quiet” persona. Gu-won had this hilarious personality that doesn’t align with what a ‘demon’ is like. He’s easygoing, and most times, almost goofy compared to the dangerous situations both protagonists are placed in. 

If you’re searching for a K-drama that touches both the magical and romance-filled realms with comic stretches and just breathtaking chemistry between actors, My Demon is the right place to go. I can assure you after minutes of starting the first episode, you won’t be able to drag your eyes off the screen.

5. 20th century girl (2022)

20th-Century Girl is centered in Korea in 1999 and follows our teenage protagonist, Na Bo-ra, as she keeps watch on a boy in her school on behalf of her smitten best friend; but then Na Bo-ra gets swallowed in a love story of her own. 

20th-Century Girl is a movie that grasps the beauty of teenage friendship, love, and the uncertainty of adulthood. Each scene in this film is relatable to the watcher, and at times, one can’t help but be emotional about what’s taking place. It’s a movie I have yet to move on from, and I just can’t forget the emotions that swelled in my chest throughout its duration. The comedic scenes, the romance exuding from the leads, and the bittersweet mixture of nostalgia, melancholy, and heartbreak will consume you, yet, you won’t regret ever watching it. It will become memorable and special to the watcher and will make them think of their own life afterward.

If you are new to K-dramas, or K-movies in general, 20th-Century Girl is one that you must watch at least once, especially if you want to be filled with the innocent hope that blooms within teen love.  

Most of these K-dramas are excellent candidates for becoming your first, and I hope one of them sparks your interest in entering the world of Korean series.

María León is a current UCF senior majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in renaissance and medieval studies, and a certificate in publishing and editing. She is from Venezuela and hopes to become a published author in the nearing future. Her passion for literature first allured her into writing as she wishes to publish stories that normalizes POCs as protagonists in the world of fantasy. María is one of two fiction editors for Cypress Dome magazine (2023-24) at UCF. And since her arrival to the university in 2022, María has been a volunteer proofreader/editor for the Jonhson's Dictionary Project. One of her main hobbies aside from reading and writing is video games, especially FPS games like Valorant and Overwatch. María has always been aware of the disparity between sexes in this environment, so she desires to create a safe space for women in video games during her time at HerCampus.