Top 5 Books To Add To Your Bookshelf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

For book savvy individuals like myself, the frustration of not having a decent book on hand can be one of the most upsetting feelings. How can you go on living your own life when the one you’re reading about has finished? So to ease the pain of a bookless slump for any of you struggling to find time to read during this busy semester, here are some recommendations for quick and fun reads that also have a bit of glamour for every collegiette reader. From my personal booklist to Oprah’s, to yours, enjoy:

The Innocents- Francesca Segal

A modern revival of Edith Wharton’s, Age Of Innocence, a classic written in 1920, this rendition is set in a modern Jewish community in London. Adam and Rachel, a long term and stable couple set to marry become unraveled when Rachel’s exotic and troubled cousin Ellie arrives. Family secrets begin to unfold and Ellie taunts Adam endlessly. Their fate changes drastically as this rousing drama unfolds.

The Last Summer of The Camperdowns- Elizabeth Kelly

Stolen from Oprah’s summer booklist of 2013, Riddle, the 13-year-old daughter of a budding politician and ex-movie star, witnesses a gruesome murder. She’s sworn to secrecy and threatened at every corner as she tries to comprehend the murder and explain why it happened. Set amidst the Watergate scandal in 1972, Riddle must find her direction in how to bring evil to light.

I Am Malala- Malala Yousafzai

The world’s advocate of women’s education, Malala, a Pakistani teenager with a strong voice speaks about her mission in her memoir. Preceding the Taliban takeover of her home in Pakistan, Malala became a spokesperson for granting women the right to go to school. She was shot at the age of 15 in the Taliban’s assassination attempt on her world-renowned advocacy. Malala speaks of her life, her experiences and her recovery.

Enders Game- Orson Scott Card

For those of you who enjoy science fiction and haven’t already read Ender’s Game, now is a good time to do it. With the movie coming out in November, this book has received praise from almost every book list. In a futuristic world, the earth has been invaded by insect-like aliens twice, and in preparation of their next attack, the Battle School is established, where Ender Wiggin begins his training through a series of difficult games, made to build his strength.

Valley Of The Dolls- Jacqueline Susann

This scandalous cult classic written in the ’60s is great for a quick, fun and raunchy read. When four girls move to New York City pursuing a life of fame and fortune in the 1940s, drugs and drama cause the women to eventually self-destruct over the span of 20 years. In the modern realm of Miley days, the evolution of this fame craze seems more relevant than ever.    

UCF Contributor