‘Tis the Season in NYC: What to Do During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There’s no denying that spending the holidays in New York City is an experience like no other. The city is at its best with all of the festive decorations, stunning lights and unique traditions. There is a feeling of magic in the air, which is why there’s no better place to spend the holidays. From uptown to downtown, the city offers many holiday events to choose from. Here are five merry activities in the city that you can do with your family and friends:

Rockefeller Center

The Rockefeller Christmas Tree is always on the top of everyone’s holiday list. This iconic tradition started back in 1993 and has been a long-running symbol of the holidays in NYC. Nothing is as romantic or festive feeling as skating under a huge tree.

Bryant Park WINTER VILLAGE

Each year Bryant Park is transformed into a winter wonderland and features a bunch of different holiday shops and festive food. There is an ice skating rink as the centerpiece, and best of all, it’s FREE! All that you need to pay for is skate rentals. Whether you want to grab a cup of hot chocolate or shop for gifts, this is the best place to feel the holiday spirit.

UNION SQUARE HOLIDAY MARKET

Located in the heart of New York City, Union Square Park showcases its renowned Holiday Market. This must-visit destination features over 160 vendors for all your shopping needs. There are many unique gifts from small businesses, local artists, entrepreneurs, and more. This is definitely the number one spot for holiday shopping!

FIFTH AVENUE Holiday Displays

Walking down Fifth Ave and seeing the stunning lights and window displays from the big-named retailers is a must-see experience. There are vibrant and extravagant decorations to marvel at from every direction. Bundle up and take a stroll to enjoy the night!

Wollman RInk in Central Park

If you’ve ever watched Home Alone: 2, then you are very familiar with this skating rink. Wollman Rink is a popular ice-skating rink located in Central Park. Visitors can glide across the ice while being surrounded by the Manhattan skyline and twinkling lights.

Experiencing the holidays in New York has always been a dream of mine so I am very excited to live it this year! Take advantage whenever you get the chance to travel to NYC for the holidays and enjoy all of these sights and events. Happy Holidays!

Carissa is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus in business. When she's not writing, she loves to spend her free time online shopping, reading romance books, traveling, and going to theme parks!