Tips for Second Semester Seniors: How to Conquer School and the Job Hunt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Being a senior brings so many emotions. In the fall, you feel motivated to pass your classes and are so excited because its {an undefeated} football season! In the spring, the anxiety sets in because you want to finish your last semester on a high note but, you realize that graduation will be here before you know it and start thinking to yourself, “Now what?” I’m feeling those emotions as well and I’ve realized that with hard work, U Can Finish school and charge on into the real world!

Go to the Career Center: We have a great career center at UCF and it is important to take advantage of it. They have helpful staff and drop in hours where you can get your resumes and cover letters critiqued from 10:00-3:00. This will help you so you can change them depending on the job you are applying for. You can also meet with a staff member to discuss your interests and create a Handshake Account. This account lets you know when there are events on campus like Career Expos (we have one February 6th), workshops, and when employers come to campus. They list jobs that are available that you might be interested in and will help with interview prep. The best part is… ITS FREE!

Don’t Procrastinate. Use your time wisely! Even though we all love to watch Netflix and chill, it is important to stay organized. Buy a planner to keep track of your assignments and do your best to get your homework ahead of time. It will be a lot easier on you and give you time to yourself to make the most out of your last 3 months as a student!  

Ask Family and Friends for Advice. If you have a family member or friend that has a job that you are interested in ask them for advice! This is important so you can start networking!  It is important to have the  experience, but, you have more of an advantage if you know an experienced person in the same field.  

Good luck adulting! (All photos were taken by the author.)