This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Now that it has nearly been a year since the U.S. started Coronavirus lockdowns, I think it’s safe to say that most of us are nothing like the person we were a year ago. During the beginning of quarantine, I began living in a constant loop for months without doing anything productive. While others were gaining the motivation to change their life for the better, I became very lazy and unmotivated. Stress and fear took over my life and drastically changed my lifestyle.

Towards the end of last year, I started to tell myself that I needed to put my mental health first. I was tired of doing nothing and I knew that I had to take the initiative to improve my well-being. I learned how to cope and I took the time to change my lifestyle. I surrounded myself with different ways to manage my mental health, and I have felt so much better ever since. I thought that I should share five of my tips for anyone who might also be struggling and needs a place to start.

Spend more time with family

Out of everything that the pandemic has taught me, the main thing is to not take things for granted. I find myself to be the happiest when I’m with my family, so I try to spend as much time with them as I can.

Stay connected with friends

Since all of my closest friends live out of state, I used to always travel to see them and spend time with them. Of course, that stopped when the pandemic started. I’m typically the worst when it comes to answering texts or DMs, but now I try my best to reach out to my friends to see how they’re doing and keep up to date with each other for when we are able to reunite again.

Focus on positive thoughts

Don’t let negative thoughts take over your life. Think about all of the good things and start your positive mindset from there. A great thing that I do is give myself positive affirmations throughout the day. It really puts me in a good mood and helps me stay optimistic.

Create a healthy routine

Something that I really struggled with during the beginning of quarantine was binge eating and sleeping extremely late. I knew that I had to start taking care of myself again, so I started to change my routine for the better. I changed my diet and started exercising and getting more sleep. It’s important to note that you should start small and create a routine that best suits you and your schedule.

Take up a new hobby

Hobbies let you set aside the time and energy specifically for doing something that brings you happiness. Exploring new hobbies can help you discover interests and strengths that you didn’t know you had. My personal favorite hobby is reading because it gives me the most serotonin since I love being immersed in a fictional world.

I know that it’s not easy to struggle with mental health while also living through a pandemic. I try to do my best by prioritizing myself and my emotions, and in return, I feel a lot stronger and in control of my life. The number one thing to remember is that you are not alone in this.  

Carissa is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus in business. When she's not writing, she loves to spend her free time online shopping, reading romance books, traveling, and going to theme parks!
UCF Contributor