Three Ways to Fall in Love – According to the Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Alright, so there may be more than three ways.  There’s probably a million ways.  It’s not exactly like we can pick how we fall in love or when it happens.  However, there may be a certain way you hope to fall in love.  Maybe you want it to happen just the way it did in one of your favorite films.   This favorite film of yours most likely falls under the genre categories of a romantic comedy or a dramatic love story.  Most guys would argue that another term for either one of those is Chick Flicks.  Boys, don’t think you’re fooling us by acting like you secretly don’t enjoy these movies as well. 

Disclaimer:  If you haven’t seen any of the three movies I’m going to discuss, there are spoiler alerts.  I apologize in advance, but if you haven’t seen these films, then I honestly don’t know what you’ve been doing. 

#1 – Falling in love with the man that’s been there the whole time
This guy is probably your next-door-neighbor, your mom’s best friend’s son, your best friend’s brother, or just your best friend period.  There are a million different options, and one of the most hilarious ones is portrayed in Zack & Miri Make a Porno.  Let’s set aside the fact that in real life, Elizabeth Banks is way hotter than Seth Rogen.  It’s not like that never happens anyway.  I mean, he’s got funny going for him.  In this film, Seth Rogen’s character, Zack, is roommates with Elizabeth Banks character, Miri.  While living together, these two become great friends, even best friends.  Unfortunately, they find themselves broke and desperate for a way to pay their bills.  For them, the obvious answer to that dilemma is to make a porno. 

Although they hired actors for the film, they also decided they would partake in “acting” in it as well.  Before anything happened, they agreed they wouldn’t let having sex ruin their friendship.  However, they develop romantic feelings for each other without wanting to admit it to anyone, including themselves and each other.  Soon enough, they find themselves abandoning the raunchy, graphic scenes from the actors earlier in the film.  Instead they have an intimate sexual moment, while everyone watches in awe and discusses their theories about Lost.  When it comes time for Zack and Miri to get down and dirty with other costars, they both realize their true feelings for each other.  Except they think that the other one has slept with someone else since their love scene.  Regardless, Zack admits to an upset Miri that he felt their love scene was romantic and heartfelt and now he is in love with her. 

Moral of the story:  Although it took them a while to become romantically involved, and three months to get over their heartbreak from each other, they became the perfect couple in the end.  You know that saying, I want to marry my best friend.  Well, you just might do that. 
Warning:  Don’t freak him out, whoever he is.  This may not be your story. 

#2 – Falling in love with a stranger
This is probably the most common one.  Somehow you meet a guy and you kind of have to admit you’re a little attracted to him.  As you get to know him, you become increasingly more so.  You become to like his laugh, the way he smells, and even his obsession with video games.  Then you two start to date, become more serious, and then all of the sudden you’re engaged, planning your wedding.  Well, a more fun way that could happen is similar to the film, Friends with Benefits.
Mila Kunis’ character, Jamie, sets up Justin Timberlake’s character, Dylan, with an interview in New York City for GQ Magazine.  Dylan is skeptical about switching from L.A. lifestyle to NYC but Jamie convinces him with a wonderful night in the city, showing him all it has to offer.  Dylan sees no other choice but to accept the job.  Not knowing anyone else in the city, the two of them develop a friendship.  One night they both complain about their recent exes breaking up with them and how much they miss sex.  Soon this friendship has more benefits than watching movies and drinking beer together.  They agreed not to get emotionally attached to each other, and after a while Jamie realizes she doesn’t want this kind of relationship.  When she starts to date someone else, Dylan secretly becomes a little jealous but doesn’t need to be for long.  Jamie’s new beau turns out to be another jerk, and Dylan invites her to his family’s place in L.A. to help her get out of her slump.  While there, they obviously develop romantic feelings for each other, but are too scared to admit it, due to the fact they once swore on the iPad bible that they wouldn’t.  Now they both are miserable without each other, until Dylan steps up to the plate to win Jamie back.  This was unrealistically set up with a flash mob in Grand Central Station.  Movies give us such false hope.

Moral of the Story:  You don’t have to be looking for someone to get serious with for it to happen.  People usually come into your life when you least expect it. 
Warning:  The guy you’re currently in the friends with benefits situation might not be your Justin Timberlake.  In fact, I can almost guarantee he probably isn’t.  So unless you want to screw up that scenario you’ve got going on, don’t say anything.  If you want more than that, then do like Jamie did and get out. 

#3 – Falling in love with the guy you once hated.
This is kind of like your standard Beauty & the Beast storyline.  Beautiful girl sees boy and is totally not interested.  Boy is totally interested though.  Sometimes he may not even know it yet.  Boy either lets his guard down or charms the pants off of the girl.  This causes her to see something more in the boy, and ultimately the two of them fall in love and become a match made in heaven. 
Nicholas Sparks is a pro at creating these amazing couples and sappy love stories for us girls.  His novels lead us to complain how stuff like this never happens, even though we can’t wait to see the film adaption of the book when it comes out.  For example, we all know and love The Notebook.  It may seem like the ultimate love story, but what most of us don’t realize is how much Rachel McAdam’s character, Allie, wasn’t at all interested in the guy in the beginning.  Ryan Gosling’s character, Noah, sees Allie from afar at a carnival.  Her beauty draws him in and he doesn’t accept the feeling of intimidation, even though she comes from a rich upbringing and he, well, doesn’t.  Instead, he stupidly climbs a Ferris wheel to talk to her.  He puts on his charm and boldly asks her to go out with him in front of the guy she’s currently on a date with.  When her answer is obviously no, he threatens to kill himself by taking one arm of the bar of the Ferris wheel.  With his life at risk, literally dangling in front of her eyes, Allie freaks out and agrees to go out with him. 

This story is cute and romantic, but the fact that Ryan Gosling was the leading man helped that out a lot.  Think about if this were to happen to you in real life.  Um, I don’t know, sounds kind of creepy to me.  Not to mention with my luck the guy would probably be shorter than me, have bad teeth, and has never had a girlfriend.  Either way, this obnoxious Noah guy, turned out to be Allie’s perfect match.  Even if they did fight a lot, they managed to always make up with something along the lines of ice cream and/or kisses two seconds later. 

Moral of the story:  Your Prince Charming may not always be well groomed, come from a rich upbringing, or wear great clothes, causing you to instantly be attracted to him. 
Warning:  Don’t totally get rid of your standards and show interest in any guy that gives you attention.  There’s a difference between a guy that’s a diamond in the rough and one that’s just plain rough.