This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

My biggest adulting fear in college has always been internships. They’re a taste of the real world, and that honestly is terrifying sometimes. When I talked to other people about their experiences, there were always so many different responses. Some people loved theirs and others dreaded them. I didn’t know what to expect for my first one, but after doing it for a few months, I have already learned so much about myself and the process altogether.

Going in, I really wanted to find what I loved about the industry and make sure it was what I really wanted to be doing. I knew that the only way to really know would be through experiences like internships. And, thankfully, I found myself excited to work on the projects I was given and I felt my creativity come out. I didn’t question myself anymore and could see my future career goals coming together.

Woman in front of laptop with mask on
Photo by Edward Jenner from Pexels

I also realized how important communication on both ends is. My internship is remote, so a lot of our communication is done through text and emails. It’s very easy to misunderstand things or just want to assume instead of ask. I realized that it’s okay for me to initiate conversations when I need help or want to pitch an idea. I even asked to have Zoom calls when it felt necessary. I learned that communication goes both ways and I can’t expect my employer to be the only one to reach out.

And with communication comes asking questions. I have always been the type of person who gets anxiety about asking questions, and sometimes just would choose not to. But, I knew that wouldn’t work for my internship. I want to be as informed as possible when working on projects, so I had to overcome that fear of speaking up when I didn’t understand something. The importance of doing my job right outweighed the stress of asking for help. I had to remind myself that my employer wanted me to succeed and was there to help me make the process easier. Now I feel confident when asking questions.

I also became more comfortable with admitting when I didn’t know how to do something. I feared that if I didn’t know what I was doing sometimes, I would look dumb or unprepared. But, an internship is about learning, and sometimes that means facing projects you have never done before. When I don’t know something I always try to research it, ask my peers or collaborate with other interns. Almost always, I can figure it out. But, if I’m still confused, asking my employer always does the trick.

Planner, Open, Pens, Tombow, Weekly, Spread
rayedigitaldesigns / Pixabay

Most importantly, I learned how to stay organized and balance school work with my internship. Working remotely for both made it really hard for me to prioritize my time at first. Making weekly checklists and keeping a calendar helped me to stay focused. I also went to local coffee shops and treated them like little offices. Finding what works for me is something I can use for the rest of my career.

My first internship experience has been an amazing learning opportunity and experience. It makes me excited to continue studying advertising and public relations, and even more excited to apply to another internship. I have more confidence in myself and in the process, and I’m thankful to have found what I am passionate about.

Shelby is a junior majoring in Advertising and Public Relations at the University of Central Florida. She spends most of her days on Netflix, thrifting, planning trips she can't afford, and hanging with her friends. When she's in the mood for some me-time she can be found cuddling her two cats
UCF Contributor