Things To Focus On This Asian Pacific American Heritage Month That Aren’t a Pair of Chopsticks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

May is Asian Pacific American Heritage month! In celebration here’s a list of things to read, watch or listen to:

Books to Read This May:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy by Jenny Han

The trilogy is excellently written and follows Laura Jean, a young Korean American girl struggling with boys and high school. The story is fun and cute (and so is Peter Kavi). It’s so good, there’s even a Netflix movie based on it!

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

A personal recommendation! Kaur’s poetry has been nationally praised and she has even given a Ted Talk based on it. Her poetry eloquently shouts what it means to be a woman of color in modern day America. If you like this, also check out Lang Leav’s work.

Crazy Rich Asians trilogy by Kevin Kwan

The trilogy follows Rachel Chu and her relationship with an attractive (and very rich) man. The trilogy is funny and full of heart while revealing just how crazy higher society can be. The first excellent novel in the trilogy also inspired the hit movie Crazy Rich Asians.

Artists to Listen to This May:

Joji

Joji is a part of 88rising, an Asian artist collective started by Rich Brian. His indie/low-fi music has become increasingly popular all over the world. One of his songs was even used as a part of Vincent Zhou’s ice skating routine in the World Championships! If you like his music, be sure to listen to the rest of 88rising! Song recommendation: “Slow Dancing in the Dark.”

Hayley Kiyoko

Hayley Kiyoko is a female Asian artist whose pop songs focus on girls liking girls. We all remember her acting and singing in the Disney movie, Lemonade Mouth. Well, let me just tell you: it has only gotten better since. Song recommendation: “What I Need (feat. Kehlani)”

Mitski

This indie rock artist is highly revered in the music community. Her voice is ethereal and captures your attention! Her music videos are thought-provoking works of art. Song recommendation: “Nobody”

Shows and Movies to Watch this May:

Fresh Off The Boat

This show focuses on Eddie Huang and his family’s lives in Florida. The show also features Constance Wu and Randy Park. It’s funny and provides a platform for those of us who grew up using the washing machine as a storage unit rather than a washing unit. If you like this, I also recommend Kim’s Convenience.

Tucca and Bertie.

This animated show focuses on two birds adulting in the city. Basically, it’s what Broad City would be—if Broad City was about birds. The main characters are voiced by Ali Wong, Tiffany Hadish, Steven Yeun, and Awkwafina. The show captures exactly what adulting is, which is crying and laughing at yourself all at the same time.

Street Food.

This docu-series centers on street food and the culture surrounding street food. The first season currently focuses on street food in Asia, which is a huge industry and a livelihood for many people. The show not only shows delicious food but also shows what life is like in other countries. Highly recommend!

Remember, representation is important! Happy Asian Pacific American Heritage Month!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Catherine is a student at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in health administration with a minor in literature. She is a first generation Vietnamese women who hopes to use her writing both as a hobby and professionally. If you can't find her eating or studying, then she''ll be found curled up with her cat watching The Office.
UCF Contributor