wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

There’s Always a Right Time to Say Goodbye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We’ve all been in that one relationship where things are going OK. But at the same time, you find yourself staring in wonderment at couples with significant others who go above and beyond for them.  Then you think to yourself, am I worth having those chivalrous things done for me? Or am I just settling in my current relationship because my past relationships are terrible in comparison? If you’re ever in this complex, then it’s most likely the right time to say goodbye.

Say goodbye if you continue to cry          

Sounds like an obvious reason to leave someone, yet we all struggle with this. We justify our crying by saying we’re really frustrated, but in all reality we’re actually really hurt. Regardless, you shouldn’t be crying. The person we’re dating should be there to wipe away the tears caused by other hardships in our life. When they become the source of your tears, you should reevaluate if this person is worth the added stress.

Say goodbye if he’s selfish

People are either naturally selfless with others or naturally selfish. Your significant other will either put your feelings first and try to do whatever they can to better your life, or they’ll worry about themselves. They may say they want to help or tell you how much they want to show you they care. But actions speak louder than words. Walk away from the person who doesn’t instinctively want to ensure your happiness before their own. They will continue to cause you pain because they forget to think about your needs before they think of their own.   

Say goodbye if he can’t communicate

If your partner talks over you, doesn’t listen, or claims that you have no reason to be upset – run. This person is more focused on being right than being a better couple together. If someone values your voice in the relationship and respects your viewpoint, then communication is easier and healthy. When someone talks at you as if you don’t understand anything or makes you question your personal feelings about something, it’s called verbal abuse. They may claim they’re trying to communicate but they’re most likely trying to feel validated, at an emotionally destructive cost to you.  

Say goodbye if he takes away any part of you

Think back on a happy time when you were with your family, friends or even out at a social gathering. You probably felt comfortable, confident and in control of the situation. If you find yourself feeling differently from that, when you’re with your significant other, consider it a red flag. They should make you feel like you’re on top of the world and can be the best version of yourself. The moment you realize that you’ve lost a part of you that used to be admired by others, you have to face the truth. You’re with someone who chipped away at the beauty that makes you, you.

Walking away with uncertainty is hard. But waiting for a reason to finally leave someone who doesn’t deserve you, is harder. They will always have an apology or excuse to make you question yourself and your decisions. There’s always a right time to say goodbye. And if you’re experiencing the things I described in this article, the time is now.

Photo credit: 1, 2  

Caitlin is a senior at UCF pursuing a degree in advertising/public relations. She's a lover of Chipotle and witty conversations - ideally together. Fun Fact: She owns two sugar gliders. Basic Fact: She binge watches Vampire Diaries, Greys Anatomy and Scandal on Netflix. Random Fact: She recently discovered she is capable of, and enjoys, playing volleyball. Her articles will always include elements of sass, honesty and humor. You're welcome.
UCF Contributor