Career

The Ultimate Deal: Ways the Job Market Affects Graduating Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

For graduating students, the conversion from the academic to the professional world is more strenuous than ever given the high-powered environment of education and work. With the globe facing economic ambiguity, technological advancements, and changing global dynamics, the employment market has grown more vying, challenging those who are about to start their careers.

Salary expectations

Students’ expectations may be manipulated by the higher earnings often offered by high-demand sectors. Recent grads may need to accept less money than they had budgeted for or negotiate more vigorously when first offered a wage in a competitive employment market.

Internships and Experiences

Students often feel coerced to attain applicable work experience and internships throughout their studies in order to stand out in a crowded job market. Unpaid or low-paying internships are becoming the norm in many industries, which affects their financial status and puts more exertion on students who, unfortunately, can’t afford to do them.

Higher Educational Choices

Decisions about additional schooling are influenced by the work market. In response to modifying market needs, some students may decide to seek further degrees, like going straight through to their Master’s, or certificates in order to improve their employability.

Geographic Mobility

In order to take advantage of career prospects, graduating students may need to be more pliant in terms of location. This may warrant moving to other cities or even nations, which would require considerable acclimation to one’s way of life for the sake of their career goals. This may be worth it to some people and not fit into someone else’s plans.

Mental Health

Students’ mental health may be impacted by the strain of trying to find work in a cutthroat industry. When people struggle with the uncertainty of their future, anxiety, sadness, and self-doubt can be prevalent.

DeShon Walker, a May 2020 graduate from Florida State University (FSU), had a difficult time obtaining a job that coincided with his degree in Sociology. Walker graduated amid COVID-19, which resulted in everything going from in-person to remote. DeShon’s work performance is better when he’s moving around and getting the energy he needs, he could never really see himself working in a remote environment. That is usually the case for most men.

COVID-19 protocol hindered him from actually showing employers who DeShon Walker really is, at the time he thought that was all he needed to do aside from having his degree. Walker expressed that his downfall was that he didn’t partake in internships, he didn’t think they were a big deal until after he graduated. “You might be the best for that position, but if your resume doesn’t have confirmation of you having job experience or at least 2+ years of experience then your degree is pointless.”, said Walker. He feels the pandemic limited his choices for work. DeShon wouldn’t get anything more than an interview, if that opportunity even came. “Jobs would bypass my resume like it was nothing,” he said.

DeShon believes that students should take the fact that they obtained a degree out of the equation when trying to secure a job. “Students should do as much interning as possible, be more involved in school organizations, and build connections; it’s all in who you know and what you have to show,” he said. He wants students to be open-minded because you can get bypassed and rejected by employers solely due to someone having that one thing on their resume that you don’t.

Breonna Hunt, a May 2023 graduate from Valdosta State University (VSU), wants to be a Forensic Psychologist and has to go back to school for her doctorate degree. “It’s a lot of schooling and money,” Hunt said. Breonna notes that when you want to make a certain amount of money or want a specific career you’ll need to go the extra mile and do more of school. She believes there is no life coaching on the transition from college into the real world. Hunt suggests that colleges should offer mandatory classes for seniors that give helpful information and guidance when looking for jobs and internships throughout college and post-grad. This would help set graduates up for success.

“If anybody knows how that feels, it should be our professors, they had to go through the same trials and tribulations that we had to. We sort of get thrown out into the world,” says Hunt. Hunt feels like she doesn’t have connections as she did when she was in school since everyone has gone their separate ways. She doesn’t have that support or a person she can confide in about her frustrations after graduating. When asked about what initiatives students should take in these trying times, the graduate said students should try to get internships for experience even though getting their degree was an experience, just to lessen the difficulty a bit.

Khedgen Willis, a December 2022 graduate from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), had a very different experience. Khedgen received a full-time job after graduating with his degree in Public Relations. “It was a very exciting time to be able to have a smooth transition into post-grad life, which I am very grateful for,” he said. Willis, a Polk County Native is still adjusting to Baton Rouge, Louisiana after having to relocate for his job. He expressed that before receiving a job offer he applied to over 50+ full-time opportunities and only a handful informed him of the next steps with their company.

According to Willis, “It is starting to become more challenging than ever to find opportunities after college, especially since students with no experience are fighting for a spot along with someone who may have 10+ years of experience.” Khedgen recommends that students look for internships with programs that will strengthen the likelihood of receiving a full-time offer with the company they are interning with or possibly gaining the necessary skills to be an undeniable candidate when going through the hiring process in these tough times.

All three of these graduates exemplify the damaging influence the workforce has on students post-grad. They all stress that graduates and soon-to-be graduates should be more focused on getting experience via internships and building connections. This will put your foot in the door more than you may think it will.

I am fearful of what my future holds. Time is winding down rapidly, and I’d just like to say that I’m very much panicking. I’m constantly trying to find more ways to gain experience and obtain various sources of income to fall back on just in case things don’t go the way I intended them to go the first time. It is all a troubling process but I have faith that it will work out for us students in the end. 

Ayana Griffin is a UCF senior majoring in communication & conflict. She also has a minor in journalism. Ayana is apart of NSLS, Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honor Society and the Her Campus UCF chapter. She spends her time listening to music, creating content, photography and binge watching movies and shows.