Female Pop Artists Reinvent Their Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The evolution of the most recognized female musicians wasn’t an overnight change. Female artists, particularly of the pop genre, are often referred to as having “eras” or phases of their careers in which they create different personas. Women pop artists reinvent their lives, and this has been a propelling force in the music industry when it comes to appealing to audiences and sustaining relevance in a male-dominated industry.

You may have seen your favorite female artist seemingly change their look overnight from a prior cherished era to a new and unfamiliar persona. This progression has happened to many female artists in the music industry, however, their male counterparts are not often seen executing similar choices. There are unsaid expectations of women in the music industry to present themselves as money-making assets. These expectations come with pressures to remain ever-changing in the spotlight and continue to have a successful career. Male artists aren’t held to the same expectations and aren’t expected to put in the same level of character-building as female artists. This pressure to remain new and shiny to audiences is a consistent force in the way female artists are expected to present themselves as public figures.

When new albums are soon to be released, many women musicians change their vibe to match the new era of music and readapt so that they do not seem to be releasing the same profile of music over and over. Male artists are not seen changing their looks and reinventing themselves into eras nearly as much.

Female artists have found a way to turn the pressure of musical evolution into a brand and profit off of those expectations held over them. When Ariana Grande traded her knee-high boots and high ponytails for a sleek updo and elegant color palette, her global fan base erupted in a mix of emotions. Ariana’s shift from her Thank U, Next era into her Positions era created such a shock not only because a top-selling artist released new music but because she entirely changed her look, making her almost unrecognizable from her previous self.

Billie Eilish, too, has the insane power to take over the internet whenever she changes her hair color, like when she went from neon green to blonde for her latest album Happier Than Ever.

Women in the music industry have harnessed the power of these expectations and channeled them into their brand which launched them into success thanks to responses from fans. In a way, the reinvention of female artists playing off their femininity and appearance could do more than any billboard or talk show appearance could, career-wise. 

Women in pop music continue to carve their space in a male-dominated industry, which expects women to remain beautiful and attractive while maintaining stage presence and never aging. One of the most successful musicians of all time has branded the reinvention of the artist in tactical and memorable ways, taking powers into her own hands. Taylor Swift gives fans a run for their money each time she announces a new record or drops hints within her songwriting.

At just 32 years old, Taylor has amassed immense fame and broken world records in each of her eras. Her Speak Now era was defined by curly blonde locks and purple gowns, then met with her Red era where she straightened her hair and wore red lipstick. A male artist could never send shockwaves in the music world with such cosmetic changes, but Taylor does it in an iconic way. 

There are beauty expectations and workplace presumptions held of all women regardless of the industry they work in. Female artists have navigated the music industry and found their ways of outdoing those expectations and harnessing the power of audience response into an overall brand and career.

Gianna Aceto is a student at the University of Central Florida majoring in Integrative General Studies with focuses on Entertainment Management and Visual Arts. Her interests include photography, entertainment and writing. The topics she is most passionate about covering are mental health, entertainment and lifestyle.