Lola, Talia, and Vonika in front of the shop
Original photo by Ariana Martinez

Meet The Cool, New Orlando Tattoo Artists You Need To Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Joining the Orlando tattoo scene are three artists eager to make their mark in more ways than one.

Their names are Lola, Vonika, and Talia; while Vonika is on the cusp as a 26-year-old millennial, Talia and Lola are Gen- Z artists, and all of them are working to build their portfolios.

These three artists are previous students of a program in which you study as an apprentice and are able to tattoo sooner than if you went the more traditional route. They even used to tattoo at the same shop together, having all finished their official study in the program and tattooing professionally since the fall of 2022 (Lola and Vonika) and the fall of 2021 (Talia).

Vonika, Lola, and Talia have been pursuing art in its many forms for a long time but admired the stability of tattooing and were drawn to the idea of sharing art with other people in an incredibly intimate way.

Talia specializes in fine-line work, a style in incredible demand right now. However, she’s interested in doing more unique designs, perhaps in the realm of horror. Her favorite tattoo that she’s done is a red dragon. 

Talia\'s red dragon tattoo
Photo by Natalia Almodovar

https://www.instagram.com/taliatats/

Vonika and Lola are interested in reimagining American traditional designs through a modern lens. Vonika recommended (and maybe even coined as I have yet to see it used online) the phrase “pop traditional” to describe Lola’s style, which includes a more dynamic, brighter color palette and less hyperrealistic, masculine imagery. Lola’s favorite tattoo that they’ve done is the “disco lady.”

Lola\'s Disco Lady Tattoo
Photo by Lola Torres

https://www.instagram.com/lolitattooos/

Vonika also works to refashion this form, specifically for people of color, with the more distinct style of Afro-Traditional, which again re-envisions the imagery to reflect the Black American experience as opposed to standard patriotism. She is working to further her portfolio of designs that reflect this style so she can pitch to clients open to her interpretation of their ideas. Vonika’s favorite tattoo that she had done is an angel on a cloud.

Vonika\'s Crybaby tattoo
Photo by Vonika Colas

https://www.instagram.com/colacokesworld/

Because they all went through the less traditional route of a tattoo school, they’re not only considered “baby artists” since their completion, as said by Talia but also encounter indirect condescension from older artists who paid their dues in tattoo shops before getting the chance to tattoo. While a change in the industry can be difficult to adjust to, those who followed a non-traditional path are artists too. Vonika, Lola, and Talia are incredibly humble and eager to learn, hoping to make strides in their fields and display their right to work like everybody else.

“[With us] You can feel comfortable with people who accept you for who you are and are not going to judge. We try to give you a great experience regardless of anything,” said Vonika.

If you are looking to get a killer tattoo in the Orlando area or are interested in supporting these artists, you can find them on Instagram @lolitattooos @colacokesworld @taliatats

Business cards of all the artists mentioned
Original photo by Ariana Martinez
Ariana Martinez (they/them) is a Florida-based freelance writer and filmmaker currently pursuing a degree in cinema studies. Their work gravitates toward explorations of gender and sexuality in film and T.V., and they have a Youtube channel and website, Awake in the A.M., dedicated to film analysis. In their free time, they enjoy traveling and yelling at the television with their friends.