This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Is there really an “art” to healing or are most of us just winging it? Healing involves anger, pain, frustration, and even happiness. Everyone makes their art differently. All artists use different strokes, techniques, and tools; therefore, the art of healing will look different for everyone.

In his song “Crack Rock,” Frank Ocean said, “You don’t really know how little you matter until you’re all alone,” which is pretty accurate because most people feel like they don’t matter at all when they’re in their lonely moments. But what if an element of healing is finding that part of you that you’ve lost whether from a breakup, trauma, or whatever it may be in those lonely moments?

The constant push and pull of feeling so high one day and so low on another, and even the in-betweens on your journey, can be quite frustrating. But who said healing was linear — and who said it was fair? We often ponder the fairness of why we are healing, asking ourselves whether we deserved to be treated like that or whether we deserved those experiences. This is a constant quarrel that fills many people’s heads, making the process of healing tougher because nine times out of 10, we don’t deserve the unfairness of the experiences that lead us on this rollercoaster of a journey.

The crying, the urge to scream at the top of your lungs, and the silence are all expressions of oneself that can all be perceived as the art of expression… or the art of healing.

Journaling is a really popular way to process your healing journey. It can allow you to write down the hurtful things you can’t quite say out loud and all the things in between. Writing down your thoughts is a way to get yourself out of the crossfire of emotions.

No two days are the same, so why should you beat yourself up for not feeling the same every day? Some people choose to participate in the art of healing completely alone and some people choose to accept the help of others. Whether you choose to keep yourself busy or to relax, what you choose to do is all about you. Prioritizing the things you feel are important, like yourself, is very important and far from selfish. Set those boundaries and enjoy the things that bring you peace and fulfillment. Paint the picture of what defines you.

Amongst your fleeting emotions is the art of finding yourself. While you continue to navigate those uncharted emotions and experiences, who’s to say what joyful things are on the other side? So, cry and yell or even fake it till you make it if that’s an art you want to participate in to conquer your journey. Present you may not understand this whole healing thing, but future you is thanking you for mastering the art of healing.

Britni-Lee Salmon is a current undergrad student at UCF, she is currently majoring in public relations/Advertising. Participating in groups such as TAU Sigma and the Her campus UCF chapter. She loves to travel, create content to share with others, and talk about hairless cats.