Taste of Technology

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could have food and drinks at the tips of our fingers? At the touch of a button? Welcome to the future, ladies and gentlemen. This is happening right before our eyes. Ok, maybe not literally, but pretty close. We live in a society that is obsessed with technology and wanting everything in less than a minute. Restaurants and bars have recently been teaming up with computers, iPads, iTouches and touch screens to give everyone a fun, fast and friendly atmosphere. For us college students, this team-up should have happened sooner!

Say goodbye to paper menus and say hello to iPads! Since people eat with their eyes first, restaurants have now made the switch to iPad menus to give pictures and life to each meal. I recently went to a restaurant in Miami where I was amazed when I was handed an iPad. Having an iPad made ordering so much fun and created great conversation at the table. If you can’t make it to Miami, there is a bar right in the Orlando area that has made ordering drinks quite an experience.

Touch Orlando is a bar where tastings are at the touch of a table. The tables are all touch screens where you can flip through menus and order your drinks. No more waiting at the bars with sweaty strangers since your order goes straight to an iTouch that every waiter has strapped onto their wrists. Not only can you flip through menus, but you can also play games and “flirt” with people at other tables just by using all of the state-of-the-art technology.

College students can also take advantage of this food technology. We can now order food without leaving our beds! Sounds amazing, right? Fast food restaurants like Jimmy John’s, Pizza Hut and Domino’s now allow you to order your meals online. Some of these places allow you to track your order so you know when your meal will be arriving at your door. They offer the whole menu and all you have to do is choose what you want. You can still order sides, drinks and everything else as if you were in the actual restaurant. This is perfect for those nights when you are typing up that last minute essay and your stomach is grumbling!

Another tool that you can use are apps. You can download restaurant apps that allow you to do the same thing. When you are on the go and don’t have a computer nearby, you can order straight off of your phone. One time I ordered Chipotle from my phone and picked it up when I was heading home from work. The best part about ordering from your phone is being able to skip the mile-long line and go straight to the cashier to pick up your order. Using technology saves a lot of time and makes those lazy days extra lazy! I think we can be impressed with technology now! 

I'm a junior majoring in Broadcast/Journalism and minoring in Marketing. I am a feature writer for Her Campus UCF and loves all things fashion and entertainment. I plan on reporting fashion live from the red carpet and being the next co-host/anchor for “E! News Live.”