Syl Johnson: Any Way the Wind Blows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Syl Johnson: Any Way The Wind Blows is a documentary of an unsung hero. He is a man that is, “The Best Soul Singer you’ve ever heard–even if you’ve never heard of him.” 

So what do I mean in saying that he is an unsung hero? Syl Johnson is a huge influential African-American musician. His career has lasted now 60+ years and he has crossed through a wide range of genres including the Blues, to Soul, to Funk, to Hip-Hop. While many of our generation may be unfamiliar of his music, he created works including, “Come On Sock It To Me” and, “Is It Because I’m Black?” all while performing with the same band and under the same record label as the widely know artist of the time, Al Green. Because of these similarities to Al Green, Syl Johnson unfortunately remained largely unknown, and his career deemed over by the 80’s. 

Where it gets more interesting is the upcoming era of Hip-Hop. During this time, Syl’s song, “Different Strokes” started to become wildly sampled by popular DJ’s and producers. In fact, artists including Run-DMC, NWA, the Beastie Boys, the Wu-Tang Clan, Jay Z and Kanye West have sampled this song. 

All in all, this is a documentary that entails concert footage of then and now, a soundtrack that is sure to bring out your inner Funk, and personal interviews with not only Syl Johnson himself, but also RZA (the Wu-Tang Clan), Prince Paul (De La Soul), Peanut Butter Wolf (Stones Throw Records), Jazzy Jay (Afrika Bambaataa’s Soulsonic Force), Jonathan Lethem (writer), Louis “Breakbeat Lou” Flores (Ultimate Breaks & Beats), Otis Clay (Hi Records artist) and Syleena Johnson (singer & star of TV One’s R&B Divas: Atlanta).

Watch the official trailer here!

If you’re free April 16th at 4:15 p.m to April 17th at 12:30 p.m, be sure to stop by Regal Winter Park Village Stadium 20 to see a film you’re sure to enjoy. Here is the documentary’s link if you’re looking for more details!

Image 1, Image 2, Video 1

UCF Contributor