Wellness

Stop Waiting for the New Year and Start Your Resolutions Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

At the beginning of each year, we establish our goals, and most of us stick to them for a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and then they fizzle out. We all write down these goals because, well, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? But, who made the rule that January 1 is THE day where we must get up and change our lives? Let’s be honest, the only ones really benefiting from this are the gyms counting their cash after we all decide it’s time to get a membership. I think it really does more harm than good for us because we put off the hard work that needs to be done right now; it’ll be our “New Year’s Resolution.” I say it’s time to get rid of this rule and start our resolutions today.

As I near the end of a truly frustrating year, I don’t want to waste another day of this last month not working toward my goals. Now, I understand that we all get to cut ourselves a little bit of slack for being behind after all that 2020 has thrown at us. But it’s December now, my favorite time of year, and what better time to get up and get shit done? In fact, I wish I had thought of this a month ago. We’ve all been wanting this year to end so badly that now, all of a sudden, it’s about to. It’s extremely exciting, the idea of kissing 2020 goodbye during that countdown on December 31, but wouldn’t it be great to go into 2021 knowing you’ve already been pursuing those resolutions for a month? Maybe then we would actually stick to them.

Back-to-school supplies, agenda
Alexa Williams

Even if you just choose one resolution to start now, whatever it may be, I think you’ll find yourself looking back a month from now really happy you did. It would be so fulfilling to end such a trying year on a high note. Instead of letting 2020 continue to beat you down, prove to yourself that you can get back up. You don’t have to wait until 2021 to go to the gym or take that art class you’ve always talked about. That’s the beauty of life — each day is a new one. Let that be your fresh start, and go into 2021 as your best self. And hey, if January 1 is your day and that has always been what works for you, keep doing you.

Mandie is a Senior at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a degree in writing and rhetoric as well as a certificate in editing and publishing. To keep up with her, follow her on Instagram @mandiemccann.
UCF Contributor