Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

During my freshman year of college, my mom and I started talking about getting a dog as a Christmas present for my dad. It didn’t work out that year, but the next my grandparents helped my mom and I surprise my dad with the most precious rescue dog my heart ever did see. Her name was Mitzi and at first, my dad was not happy at the idea of us springing a dog on him. Soon though, she had us all in love with her cute puppy face and diva personality. 

cutie dog chilling in grass
Hannah King

On Valentine’s Day, my family entered a nightmare — while my dad was walking Mitzi in the afternoon like every other day, she got too close to the road and was hit by a car. We lost her instantly. I have never experienced such utter heartbreak and pain before in my life. This was my seventh death since starting college, but it honestly never gets easier, especially when it’s so unexpected. Seeing how devastated my parents were at losing what had become their second child and me being so far away from my home town in Mississippi having lost my sister made me feel like I was in a constant state of pain and depression. What made this time even harder was that I felt like I couldn’t grieve or publicly mention my unbearable sadness because I lost what some might see as “just a dog.”

This was an utterly ridiculous thought, but one I feel many people have when they lose a pet. Why is it that when an animal dies in a film that is always the part everyone cries at, but in real life when you cry over the loss of an animal people think you are overreacting? It’s fascinating how animals matter until they don’t for people. 

Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

I have read many articles on how to mourn the loss of a pet and all of them tell you that your emotions are valid and that grief comes in many different forms. Don’t let society or the people close to you say that you are overreacting because the pets in our lives are never just pets. Mitzi was my sister and my whole heart. She was never just a dog and it has been a hard adjustment without her. I have been lucky to have amazing friends and my parents to support me during this time. If your close friends are not supportive, then reach out to other friends, support groups or family to help you through this hard time. There is no time frame to get through the pain of losing a pet and even if it’s been months since your loss, your emotions are still always valid.

It has been two weeks since my family lost our baby Mitzi and it’s slowly getting easier every day. I still struggle to tell people of my loss in fear of being judged, but I am learning that being ashamed of my emotions during this hard time is the last thing I should be feeling. My emotions are valid. 

Hannah is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida studying film and history. Her goal is to one day bring the worlds of film and television to life through design. She loves all things film, books, and Disney. When she is not escaping to far off worlds she is grabbing coffee and planning her next Disney trip. If you want to follow along on all her adventures you can follow her on Instagram @hannahkonfilm
UCF Contributor