This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Way back when we thought quarantine was only going to last a month or two — thanks, state and federal government for rising to the challenge! — everyone thought it was hilarious that time had lost all meaning. The Internet rode that nihilistic wave by celebrating limited edition, virus-themed holidays, and I compiled this list of summery horror movies to promote my personal favorite: Quarantine-O-Ween!

It Follows

This gauzy teenage haze of a horror film is a chilling delight, but trust me: the summer vibe is there. Nothing says July like lounging by the pool and evading sexually transmitted demons! (Yes, you read that right.)

Tremors

While it may just seem like a horrible rip-off of Dune, I can assure you all that it’s both way shorter and WAY more entertaining. Enjoy a 1990s Kevin Bacon in a cowboy hat trying to figure out why there are space worms living in sandy Nevada.

Verónica 

Okay, full disclosure: This movie is so scary that my friends and I had to watch the whole first season of Nailed It! when we finished. Not only is it based on a true story, but a legally documented paranormal case? Count me in! Follow in my simp-for-horror-movies footsteps and succumb to this scarring experience. Nothing says summer like a séance!

Fright Night (2011)

This is genuinely one of the funniest teen movies ever made, and not just for all of its 2011 pop culture punch-lines. The sheer irony of a vampire living in perpetually-lit Las Vegas is fantastic (…as is the way said vampire looks in muscle tops).

It (2017)

If only yelling “It’s summer!” absolved these poor kids from fighting a painfully-sexualized demon clown.

Poltergeist (1982)

While this is always an absolute ESSENTIAL near-Halloween watch, the 1982 horror classic seems to be set in a summertime state of suburbia.

Lights Out

Is this partially a “summer movie” because I fondly remember dragging my friends to see it in theaters in the summer of 2016? Yes. Does it also have a scary shadow ghost who hates the sun and all light? Watch and find out.

Listen: I have mad respect for Quaran-Christmas, but Quarantine-O-Ween forever has my heart. Join me in my spooky scary summer! Besides, by the looks of it, we’ll be stuck in our COVID-19 hellscape until time actually comes to an end — that’s a BIG yikes.

Grace - AKA "IMDB with legs" - is a junior Film major at the University of Central Florida. When she isn’t writing articles for Her Campus, she’s ranting about movies to her friends, watching Netflix in her dorm, or stressing out about being asked what her hobbies are.
UCF Contributor