3 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Solo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Calling all single ladies! Ditch the dating apps and relieve yourself of the struggle of trying to make plans for this Valentine’s Day. Here are three dates to take yourself on so you don’t end up binge-watching sappy rom coms and crying into a bowl of Ben and Jerry’s this year.

Did someone say self-care?

A classic way to make the most out of your Valentine’s Day is to spend it on self-care. Take the day to do all of the pampering activities you usually don’t have time for. It’s the perfect time to show yourself some love by booking that appointment to get your nails done, your eyebrows waxed and maybe even a facial. Part of self-care is expressing your creativity, so try baking those Valentine’s Day treats from scratch you saw on Pinterest. Set goals for the week by creating a vision board or starting a reflection journal. Use the day to get organized — and make sure you take time to clear your head, try your favorite meditation method or attend a yoga class. The best way to wrap up your self-care day is to treat yourself to dinner, whether it’s ordering some take-out or trying out a new restaurant.

Picnic for one

If you’re looking for something a little more lowkey, a picnic is a great way to spend your Valentine’s Day because it has endless possibilities. You can take it to a local park, beach or even your backyard. There is no list of what you need to pack for your picnic since the day is all about you. I suggest packing all of your favorite snacks, a very aesthetically pleasing Charcuterie board, and something sweet — like Valentine’s day candy. To keep busy, bring painting supplies and paint your view or use your sketchbook to draw the people you observe. If you’re an avid reader, bring a book! My personal favorite is Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman if you want to add some romance to your day. To top it off, take photos on your polaroid camera to document your picture-perfect picnic.

Think outside of the “Heart”

If you really want to treat yourself, plan a solo trip. It doesn’t have to be somewhere far or exotic, just a place you love or something new. You could take a day trip to a theme park or even fly to a city near you that you’ve never visited. A mini-vacay is the ultimate way to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day and possibly check something off your bucket list. Why not do something untraditional; while everyone else is preparing for their Tinder dates, you could be camping or getting lost in a museum. Make yourself feel more like the main character by wandering a small town or taking a long drive while blasting your favorite playlist.

Whatever you do this Valentine’s Day, make it about you. That way, there’s no pressure to find a date or worry about your outfit. Show yourself some love and make it a day you remember.

Brianna is a student at the University of Central Florida, majoring in Event Management. When she's not at Disney, Bri is most likely creating a new Pinterest board or re-watching Friends. Her talents consist of taking INCREDIBLE candid photos and finishing an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.