SOFIA COPPOLA GIVES PRISCILLA PRESLEY HER STORY BACK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.
A24

Director Sofia Coppola’s highly-anticipated film, Priscilla, redirects the attention from the “King of Rock and Roll” towards Priscilla Presley. The film was adapted from Priscilla Presley’s autobiography Elvis and Me. Following in the footsteps of Baz Lurhmann’s Elvis (2022), Priscilla takes us behind closed doors into Elvis and Priscilla’s tumultuous relationship. Where Elvis glosses over the relationship he had with Priscilla, (her character had little to no dialogue), Coppola’s take fills the gap immensely.

The high energy glitz and glamor of Austin Butler’s Elvis portrayal last year is a direct contrast to the sweet and soft Priscilla that’s brought to life by actress Cailee Spaeny (Bad Times at the El Royale). Spaeny is a force in her transformative role as Priscilla from age 14 to adulthood, her timeless face making the role believable. The hair and makeup in Priscilla are simply perfect, transporting the audience into the time period through hairspray-laced bouffants and bold eyes. Each scene was visually fed with a new look based on Priscilla’s real style at the time. Her hair and makeup act as a shield to the person she truly is, changing throughout the film as Priscilla evolves from a sweet youthful 1950s ponytail to dark constructed hair with A-line dresses, ending in a 1970s mature outfit. The set design leaves nothing to the imagination. Every inch of every scene is entirely what I would imagine the era of Elvis to look like, also featuring Sofia Coppola’s iconic pink hues.

@SofiaCoppola via Instagram

I could not take my eyes off Spaeny in her performance as Priscilla. Her soft-spoken character and emotive eyes told the story more than dialogue could alone. Priscilla is swept under Elvis’ spell as he’s introduced to her when she’s only 14 years old. Their controversial age difference isn’t ignored in the film as Priscilla’s parents are protective of their daughter’s involvement with the older rockstar. Elvis, played by Jacob Elordi (of “Euphoria” fame), connects on an emotional level with Priscilla, making sure to not rush their physical relationship too fast. The innocent halo over Priscilla begins to dim as she discovers Elvis’ infidelity during the work trips that leave her distant at home. Elvis establishes an overarching sense of control in Priscilla, lessening her independence as a young woman. Elordi’s depiction of Elvis removes the veil of celebrity and shows the lesser-known side of Elvis that Priscilla knew, toning down his allure and forcing him to become more human. The Australian actor crafted a convincing sultry Southern accent for the role and added physical touches to the character that aren’t caricatures of the real musician. He shows the highs and lows of their relationship. The air in the theater shifted at the first sign of Elvis’ dark side when he became aggressive during a pillow fight with Priscilla. 

@PriscillaMovie via Instagram

Silent moments are eloquently placed throughout the film, complimenting Priscilla’s calm demeanor. These Sofia Coppola-esque additions are what make the film special. It was enjoyable to see vintage hair salons and beauty techniques of past eras that were trends. A notable scene was when Priscilla sat in bed and told Elvis she was going into labor. After taking a minute for the news to hit, we can only hear the background commotion of Elvis and his team at home frantically running around in preparation. Meanwhile, Priscilla is shown delicately putting on false eyelashes before leaving for the hospital.

@SofiaCoppola via Instagram

The Elvis estate didn’t allow Coppola’s production to secure rights to use Elvis’s real music in the film, further removing the layers of fame that we see in the on-screen dynamic. The soundtrack of Priscilla is beautiful and timely, featuring The Righteous Brothers, Brenda Lee and an ethereal original song by Sons of Raphael.

The breaking point for Priscilla’s relationship occurs after an intoxicated Elvis tries to force himself on her. The following scene is Priscilla telling Elvis she’s leaving him, saying “We are living separate lives”. Elvis’ reply is simply stated: “Maybe in another place, another time”. Her heavy decision concludes the film as she drives away into her new life to Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” and exits the gates of Graceland.

Gianna Aceto is a student at the University of Central Florida majoring in Integrative General Studies with focuses on Entertainment Management and Visual Arts. Her interests include photography, entertainment and writing. The topics she is most passionate about covering are mental health, entertainment and lifestyle.