Social Media Support For Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The terrorist attack on Paris, France has been unavoidable due to the expected world-wide news coverage. Within hours of the tragedy, pictures of support for Paris started surfacing. Famous landmarks across the world are lit up in blue, white and red while the historic Eiffel Tower stays dimly lit during this devastating time. 

The overwhelming amount of solace doesn’t stop there. Individually, people want to know how they can show their love and condolences for Paris. Well known social media platforms have taken it upon themselves to provide users with a way to do this.

Facebook has given its users the option to put a filter, resembling France’s flag, over their current profile picture. The filter has gained popularity rather quickly as it allows users to show a gesture of unity during this Paris solidarity move. 

The acts of harmony continue with a Snapchat filter on the app that states “Pray for Paris” in both the English and French language. Adding this filter to one’s Snapchat story makes it fairly easy for people who are connected through technology to experience the support for Paris. 

Aside from the physical changes that people can make on their social media platforms, it is impossible to turn a blind eye to the lovely posts that have surfaced since word of the attacks were first reported. The love that Paris has shown so many is being rightfully reciprocated.

At this moment in time, it is remarkable to see first-hand the beauty of coming together in honor of one of the most magnificent cities in the world.

Today, nous sommes tous Parisians.

(Today, we are all Parisians.)

Photo credit: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3

Shannon is a Junior at UCF studying Communications and Magazine Journalism. She enjoys laughing, traveling, taking photos, and being a foodie. In her spare time you can find Shannon watching Friends re-runs or blogging. She loves bagels, fashion, listening to throwbacks, and channeling her inner Blake Lively! Follow her on Twitter & Instagram
UCF Contributor