The Skinny on Being Skinny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The most common love-hate relationship women tend to have, besides with men, is with our love-hate relationship with food. As college students, food is constantly surrounding us. Whether it is being bombarded by free samples, student union lunches, or friends asking you out to lunch or dinner, food seems to engulf most of our collegiate hours. A lot of students have mastered the lifestyle of a college student, especially when it comes to balancing a decent diet and late night drinking, but there are quite a few of us out there who are still struggling with the do’s and don’ts of eating right, exercising, and healthy partying.

With spring break right around the corner, most girls tend to result to crash dieting and other unhealthy means of losing weight, just to achieve that perfect bikini body. Yet the biggest myth most people believe is that not eating will make you skinnier. In order to lose weight, you must eat!

It might sound extremely contradicting, but with these five tips, I promise that starting a healthier lifestyle and toning that booty will come easier than ever!

1. EAT EAT EAT! – A day of well-balanced eating consists of at least 5-7 meals. Be sure to eat a good breakfast, pack snacks with you if you’re off to class, eat a hearty lunch, have a late afternoon snack, and have a delicious dinner! A snack after dinner is totally fine as well; just make sure it is on the healthier side!

2. Drink Up! – Water makes up most of our bodies; so do not deprive yourself of it! Staying hydrated is key in being healthy. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses a day. This really is not that much, shoot for a gallon and you will really notice a change in your body, I guarantee it! Drinking a lot of water may also help you become fuller faster to help you avoid overeating! Give it a try!

3. Stay Active– Many people think they have to work themselves out to death everyday for hours in order to achieve that Jessica Biel body. Totally not necessary. Go for a jog with your girlfriends a few times a week. Attend yoga, pilates, or spin classes! Switching up your routine will keep you entertained and keep your body guessing what you will do next. Surprising your body with different exercises allows change to happen in a gradual, healthy way. At least 30 minutes of exercise a day will tone your body, and your attitude.

4. Treat Yourself– If you deprive yourself completely of sweets, treats, and goodies, you will binge like no other. It is so important to allow yourself some dessert now and then. This is why crash dieting does not work! Not only will you binge after starving yourself, but you will go crazy and continuously overeat; which puts the weight you thought you lost, right back where it started. After you have a salad for lunch, have one piece of Dove chocolate to relieve yourself of that sweet tooth!

5. Be Creative– We all love food, but when you decide to change your diet to the healthier side, it can get pretty boring. Salads have endless combinations, so spice it up with different meats and toppings! Don’t hesitate to try new vegetables and fruits either. There are so many delicious, healthy foods out there waiting to be eaten!

Healthy lifestyles have an endless array of options. From exercise to eating, there are so many ways to stay motivated and fit! If you’re having trouble staying committed, remember, it takes time, and depriving yourself completely may result in a big fat fail, literally. Do not overeat, do not starve yourself, and enjoy the healthy, yummy foods our world has to offer!

Andrea’s top picks for a healthy day of eating!

• Breakfast – original oatmeal and a banana
  • Snack– cup of raw almonds, and strawberries or other fruit
  • Lunch– salad with grilled chicken, bell peppers, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, fat free Italian dressing
  • Snack– granola bar, or carrots and fat free ranch dip
  • Dinner– grilled chicken, mixed vegetables, brown rice
  • Snack– orange, or a baked apple with cinnamon