photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Six Things to be Thankful for in Orlando

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Dear Orlando,
I don’t know if it’s been said said it recently, but I’m here to say it. Thank you for being more than just a place to live, more than just a place to stop by for vacation or to set up camp for four years to attend school. Thank you for being a home to all. Thank you for being a place where like-minded, forward- thinking individuals can come together and create a community, a place of art and music.  

I am truly appreciative of these qualities of this city year-round, but this Thanksgiving, I’m telling the world of six things to be thankful for in Orlando in hopes they too can see this city for what it is and start to explore and further appreciate this land-locked, Floridian place we all call home.
Farmers Markets
The variety of farmers markets is something to appreciate in Orlando, as the weekly markets help create a unique local flavor by providing outlets for local products. Furthermore, consumers know where their produce, baked goods, and other products come from, they receive GMO-free produce, and they get better prices since less distance is involved in the process.
Another thing to be thankful for is that in shopping at farmers markets consumers are supporting local artisans and businesses, food co-ops, and sustainable farming methods. Here is a list of local farmers markets in Orlando!

Diversity
While many people may complain Florida is a pretty spread out state, that means that there are a lot of neighborhoods to fill the large spaces in between its borders, each with a unique local flavor.
We can all appreciate all the uniqueness the Orlando neighborhoods have to offer. Whethther you live in the Mills50 District, Sodo, Delaney Park, ViMi District, Baldwin Park, Coytown, Winter Park, Thorton Park, College Park, or Downtown Orlando, I’m sure you can point to the sights, sounds, and flavors that make your neighborhood unique.

Petty Cabs
One aspect of city life that Orlando has that most cities don’t is the proliferation of petty cabs filling the city streets. You know, the endless amount of bikers pulling couches behind their bikes around the city late at night.
While this may seem like something strange to be grateful for, what these unique cab rides offer is a unique, street’s-eye-view of Orlando and late night city life. Not only are they a relatively cheap alternative to a cab, but they also allow the rider to get home safe and avoid the dangerous possibility of drinking and driving. Plus, they’re sustainable!

Local Music Scene
The local music scene is burgeoning, and one of the best things about Orlando. On any given night you can stop by one of Orlando’s many venues and check out some great local music, or hear your favorite band roll through town at one of the bigger venues.
I’m thankful for these local music spots and all the talent that takes the stage here: Will’s Pub, the Space, BackBooth, The Social, The Beacham, The Peacock Room and the Red Lion Pub.

Art is Alive and Well
As a writer, I’m thankful that in a city known for rapidly expanding industrialization, the arts are alive and well. On UCF campus UCF’s student run literary magazine the Cypress Dome
Orlando-based Burrow Press, a nonprofit publication of literary fiction and creative nonfiction, along with their quarterly reading series Functionally Literate kelps to keep the arts alive by publishing and showcasing local talent and fostering the arts in Orlando. If visual arts are more your thing, be thankful this city has the entertainment hubs known as Enzian Theater, Orlando Shakespeare Theater, and Saks Comedy Lab.

The City is Always Alive
I appreciate the fact that there is always something to do in Orlando, and you should too.
To find out what’s going on, just head to Her Campus weekend event guru Daniela Araya, or scroll through Six Tools to Serve as a Tour Guide  to see what tools can help you find out what’s happening in your unique part of this city.  There’s always something happening.