This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the new year rapidly approaching, along with it comes the all-familiar New Year’s resolutions. The “new year, new me” mindset never seems to fail to engulf society. However, why wait for the new year to improve your life when you can begin the process now, before the craziness of the holidays, to start your year off on a fresh note.

closet clean-out

A great way to switch things up for the new year is to get rid of everything in your closet that you don’t wear often, and maybe make room for some new pieces to spice up your wardrobe. I recommend selling the old clothes to consignment shops or donating them to charity.

DEEP CLean

Along with a closet clean-out, a great way to have a fresh start for the new year is to deep clean your room, apartment, car or wherever you spend your time. Whatever you’ve been putting off cleaning, clean it now, before the holidays and New Year, and work on keeping up with it consistently.

make a list of goals

Instead of resolutions, try making goals for the new year. Whether they are personal, social, academic or fitness goals, putting them down onto paper will help solidify them. Make the paper pretty and have it somewhere where you can see it to keep yourself motivated.

establish a routine

It takes 21 days to form a habit, so if you’ve been wanting to improve your morning routine or any other routine, now’s the time. By the time the new year comes, you will be well on your way to making that new routine a habit.

BUY a gift for yourself

Along with all the holiday shopping for loved ones, don’t forget to get some gifts for yourself! Treating yourself is important and we often forget that while doing our gift shopping. You could get yourself something you’ve been eyeing that you know will make you happy, something that could help kickstart a new goal or hobby, or something to take care of yourself like a mani/pedi or a new haircut.

Hopefully, you’re now inspired to kickstart 2022 with me. No year is completely perfect of course, but doing these things to set yourself up for success can help you thrive this year.

Alyssa Mehrberg is a junior majoring in Psychology and Ad/PR. She is from Fort Myers, FL and enjoys going to the beach and being in nature. She loves all things wellness and fitness related, as well as cooking healthy meals, psychological thrillers, and sunsets.