This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As I took my casual Tuesday stroll through the skincare aisle in Target, I came upon the Hero Cosmetics Rescue Balm. I use the Hero Cosmetics Mighty Patch religiously, so I decided to look into this. The brand’s website claims that this product was inspired by first-aid ointments and should be used to treat post-patched or post-blemish skin to speed up the healing process. As someone whose skin still believes it’s going through puberty, I figured there was no harm in seeing what it could do — plus, it was only $12.99. 

Since I had a few patches on my skin all day, I figured that night was the perfect time to try what I bought. I did my nightly routine as usual, starting with my salicylic acid face wash. Then I used my hyaluronic acid before going in with the Rescue Balm right before my night cream. When reading the directions for Rescue Balm, it says to apply the cream on the spots you need — so that’s what I did. I fell asleep that night, not expecting much of a difference in the inflamed and just all-around bothered section of my right cheek. When I woke up, I jumped out of bed to see any difference in my skin. Typically, products like these never do what they claim, so I wasn’t expecting much. To my surprise, what used to be flakey and bright red had simmered down and looked nearly back to normal. Now, don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a miracle cure for post-blemish skin, but it’s close. 

Rescue Balm was something I didn’t know I needed until I picked it up — now it’s something I can’t live without. This first-aid-inspired cream is packed with renewing beta-glucan, moisturizing panthenol, shea butter, vitamin E, and peptides to replenish the skin. The beta-glucan in this product hydrates and repairs the skin. Panthenol is an anti-inflammatory that helps calm redness in the skin. Shea butter can help treat acne while also helping to provide relief to peeling and itchy skin. Vitamin E can help reduce the appearance of scars in the skin, and peptides help clear skin. The primary goals of Rescue Balm are to improve the redness, texture and discoloration of the spots it’s applied to. Rescue Balm can be used when you need it in the morning and night according to the brand, which I’ve been doing.

With first-hand knowledge, I can attest that this little tube of cream does everything it claims. Most acne-fighting products on the market tend to skip this very vital stage of any breakout. Before purchasing Rescue Balm, I was ignoring this stage as well. I figured once my blemish was starting to flatten out, I was done and could move on, but I was wrong. Now that I have Rescue Balm in my arsenal, I see my skin improving faster than ever. If you have problematic skin or want to soothe post-blemish skin, run and grab Rescue Balm.

Jenna is currently a Senior at the University of Central Florida majoring in Legal Studies. When she isn't reading the most current political update, she's watching the newest crime doc on Netflix or watching skincare videos on Youtube. Her greatest dream is to spend the rest of her life playing around with makeup.
UCF Contributor