This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

November 12th, 2021: when Taylor Swift released the highly anticipated re-recorded version of her fourth studio album, Red. Inspired mainly by a relationship with a certain actor (ever heard of a guy named Jake Gyllenhall?), Red is beloved by Swifties and the general public alike. That explains why two minutes after the album was released, Spotify crashed. It’s been a little over a month now since Red (Taylor’s Version) was released, which means most of us are almost done processing the “From the Vault” tracks, or the songs written for the album but not included when it was released in 2012. Come with me as I rank all nine tracks, and gush about the lyrical genius of Taylor Swift.

“all too well (10-minute version) (Taylor’s version) (From the Vault)”

I’m sure this is no surprise to anyone, considering how Swifties everywhere reacted when Taylor Swift announced that she would include the 10-minute version of “All Too Well” on the re-record of Red. “All Too Well” is already a lyrical masterpiece, describing a previous relationship and how the downfall of said relationship, but the 10-minute version tops the original by far. With lyrics like “Did the twin flame bruise paint you blue?” and “Just between us, did the love affair maim you too?”, it’s nearly impossible not to feel a punch in the gut as you listen to the song (over and over again, if you’re anything like me). 

“nothing new (feat. phoebe bridgers) (Taylor’s version) (From The Vault)”

Swift is notorious for having few female collaborations on her albums, and for using additional female voices as background vocals, so Bridgers’ heavy involvement in “Nothing New” came as a surprise to all. I view “Nothing New” as like an older sister to “Liability” by Lorde, as both describe the pain of feeling like a temporary presence in everyone’s lives, and feeling like you have an “expiration date.” Musically, the song is relatively understated, with soft string instruments underneath Swift and Bridger’s gentle vocals. Lyrically, it perfectly describes the pain of thinking you have everything figured out, to realizing you don’t know nearly as much about life as you thought.

“i BET YOU THINK ABOUT ME (FEAT. CHRIS STAPLETON) (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From The Vault)”

My love for this song was very surprising, as I’m not necessarily a “country music girl” unless you count “Need You Now” by Lady A and “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. The triumphant twang in this song is worth obsessing over, and Chris Stapleton’s background vocals add the perfect bit of texture to the song. Not to mention, a music video directed by Blake Lively? A recipe for perfection.

“FOREVER WINTER (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From The Vault)”

You never know what people are going through, even if they have an ever-present smile on their faces. “Forever Winter” is a beautiful ballad in which Swift describes her concern for the mental health of her friend, and hits close to home for me. I’ll admit, at first listen, I thought it was a love song. I suggest listening to this song closely, and then maybe texting a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while afterward.

“BETTER MAN (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From The Vault)”

Everyone knows the feeling of realizing it’s time to leave something or someone behind but wanting to hold on for dear life. Self-awareness is a great trait to have, but needless to say, sometimes it doesn’t feel the best. Even though it may hurt, it’s always best to know your self-worth. In “Better Man,” Swift does exactly that.

“RUN (FEAT. ED SHEERAN) (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From the VAult)”

I’m a big fan of the “no one understands us so let’s run away from them all” trope, and “Run” describes one perfectly. One of the seemingly beautiful things about young love is if anyone disapproves of it, you immediately jump to believing they are the problem and not the relationship. Nevertheless, “Run” is that perfect song to play as you drive off into the sunset with your first love.

“MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From The Vault)”

This is like an anthem for people who love catching feelings but never making a move on anyone (yes, I did just call myself out). The lyrics are paired with a super upbeat pop rhythm that is perfect for dancing around. Swift does a great job of describing the frustration of having chemistry with a certain someone, but no one doing anything about it. If you can relate to this right now, here’s a tip: say something, because you’ll never know otherwise.

“THE VERY FIRST NIGHT (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (from the Vault)”

Swift is the queen of writing nostalgic love songs, and I am eternally grateful. “The Very First Night” is the perfect song if you are remembering a night with a former love interest, but you aren’t too upset about it. Almost everyone has that person who you’ve moved on from, but if they were to approach you in 10 years asking for a second chance, you’d say yes without a second thought. This song perfectly encompasses that energy.

“BABE (TAYLOR’S VERSION) (From The Vault)”

I’ll admit, this song had to grow on me a little, but after giving it a chance, I adore it! It’s one of those songs I can’t necessarily relate to, but I can still imagine feeling the way that she describes. Lyrically, “Babe” is pretty simple, but straightforward. Even so, her strong vocals and the production by Jack Antonoff (a genius!) are the focal points of this vault track.

Let’s be clear about one thing: I love every single Red (Taylor’s Version) track, all two hours and ten minutes of it. Ranking these nine songs seemed a little impossible, but each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Either way, go ahead and give them all a focused listen or give the entire album a focused listen! I promise you, you won’t regret it. 

Naziah Roberts is a junior at UCF majoring in Clinical Psychology and minoring in Human Services and Social Inequality and Diversity. You can often find her trying out a new dessert recipe, making a new Spotify playlist, or reading about astrology when she isn't busy learning about the inner workings of the human mind! She is pursuing a career as a Clinical Psychologist for underprivileged youth.