The Lalatwo Cakes
The Lalatwo Cakes
Her Campus Media

Publix Made Hurri-cakes for Hurricane Dorian & it’s Low-key Genius

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every special occasion calls for some dessert to celebrate, and Florida’s beloved Publix supermarket sells a variety of options that cater to birthdays, anniversaries and even hurricanes. Yup, you read that correctly—hurricanes.

Hurricane Dorian, which is making its way toward Florida, had max winds of 130 miles per hour, according to the National Hurricane Center’s 9 p.m. update on Friday, August 30. Dorian is projected to hit Central Florida on the afternoon of Tuesday, September 3 as a Category 4 storm with winds over 140 miles per hour.

While the storm should be taken seriously and preparations should ensue, Floridians are still doing what they do best—joking about, or actually throwing, hurricane parties. This is when Publix’s sweet treats come into play.

Some Florida natives have taken to Twitter to show off the different Dorian desserts Publix has to offer.

One user, Nyja Abdullah (@SaveItBruh), said that the cakes were “the most Florida sh**” she has ever seen. She wasn’t wrong there.

The dessert reassured others that everything would be all right. 

And others kept their hurricane lists in check.

While the supermarket decorated these desserts in good fun, they have faced some backlash for their decision. Some complained that the focus should be on more important products, like flashlights and water. The Publix Helps Twitter account, which acts as a customer service platform, responded to some complaints:

Everyone has a different take on these cakes, but most importantly, they all agree that necessary safety precautions need to be taken in light of the incoming storm.

For more information on Hurricane Dorian, visit the National Hurricane Center for hourly forecast updates.

Images: Hero Image1, 2, 3

Samantha Olson is a University of Central Florida alumna who served as senior and deputy editor for HCUCF. She graduated with a bachelor of arts in journalism with a minor in creative writing and a certificate in editing and publishing. When Sam isn't admiring city life and art museums, she's working as Seventeen Magazine's editorial fellow and running Shifter Mag alongside her BFF, Victor.  For daily doses of Sam, follow her on Instagram.
UCF Contributor