Profile: Chris Clemente

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

HerCampus UCF had the opportunity to talk with Chris Clemente, a junior with a love and passion for making a difference at UCF. Between his involvement with the Student Government Association, Knight-thon, and other organizations on campus, he obtains an incredible amount of leadership skill and determination to have UCF always strive to improve.

HerCampus UCF (HCUCF): Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Chris Clemente (CC): My name is Christopher Clemente. I am a junior at the University of Central Florida majoring in history and political science with a minor in philosophy. I’m a bit of a nerd that can’t really stop reading which is why I am double majoring.

HCUCF: What is your current position in student government?

CC: I am currently involved with student government where I serve as the Chief of Staff. I manage the 19 person cabinet. They report to me on exactly what they’re doing, and I help the student body president and vice president represent the student body at top level meetings like for the downtown campus and things of that nature.

HCUCF: What is your previous experience in SGA?

CC: In the past I was the facility of transportation specialist, and before that I was part of the mentorship program on SGA.

HCUCF: So what else have you been involved with on campus.

CC: I am also involved in Knight-thon, and I am definitely FTK. I’ve served as a staff captain for Knight-thon for the past two years, so I help out the day of the event with passing out food and all of that. I’ve also been involved with LEAD Scholars for a little while. I am also on the President’s Leadership Council, so we represent the university and Dr. Hitt at high level events like meetings with legislatures and business partners of the university. It’s nice getting to help out and volunteer specifically for the university.

HCUCF: So you are currently running to serve as president of the Student Government Association. What made you aspire to obtain such an important role?

CC: My primary motivation was that I couldn’t figure out a way to continue serving the student body. Over the past three years I have gone from just a freshman on a mentorship program to a cabinet member then to a cabinet member that manages all of the other cabinet members. There is really nowhere else for me to go but up, and I want to continue to charge on, and becoming student body president is the logical next step. There is nothing else for me to do because I am constantly trying to figure out ways to help the student body in any way whether it be Knight-thon, President’s Leadership Council, or Student Government. I have kind of tapped out what I can do in student government other than running to represent all of the students as their student body president.

HCUCF: So what are some of your goals you hope to achieve on campus before you graduate?

CC: My primary goal is to leave a legacy. I’m only going to be at this university for four years. I have one more year left after this semester, and I just don’t want to be remembered, what I did is what I want remembered. I want to be able to leave an impact on this campus whether it’s getting water fountains built on memory mall for tailgates or creating a partnership with Uber which is something Rachel (my running mate) and I are campaigning on. Partnering with Uber like the University of Florida did to get discounted rates for students so that our campus safety can extend off the campus as well is something we are trying to achieve. That’s the legacy I want to leave, not just about myself but what services I want to leave to the student body to keep them safe, to enhance their experience, and to engage them.

HCUCF: So what’s your dream job?

CC: I’m definitely split between Pirate Astronaut or Solicitor General of the United States. A Pirate Astronaut because that sounds pretty neat. Solicitor General because I’m a polysci geek, and I’m just so nerdy about the political process and would love to be a part of it in that way.

HCUCF: When you were growing up, what did you tell people you wanted to do with your life?

CC: I told people I wanted to rule the world. I’ve come to realize that I couldn’t do that, so I settled for Pirate Astronaut or Solicitor General, whichever one happens first. If I can do both that would be great, but we’ll see!

HCUCF: If you were a famous super hero, which one would you be and why?

CC: It’s definitely a split between Batman or Superman. I like the whole flying thing, but I think Superman would definitely win. Plus being Clark Kent sounds awesome too. He’s a great reporter and he gets to be Superman at the same time.

HCUCF: What are some fun facts about yourself?

CC: I have three siblings, an older brother and two younger sisters, and my eight-year-old and four-year-old sisters I just absolutely adore. One of the primary reasons I came to UCF was because it stands for opportunity. As tired as I am of saying that, it’s true. At the end of the day, UCF stands for opportunity, that’s why I came here in addition to allowing me to be closer to my family that lives in Tampa and closer to my little sisters as they grow up. Another fun fact is that my girlfriend and I have been together for 6 years!

HCUCF: Is there anything else you would like to add?

CC: I am incredibly excited to be going through this process. I am incredibly excited to try and earn as many votes as possible and become this university’s next student body president because I don’t think there is any other position a student can hold that gives them the ability to effect change amongst their peers. I’m a student just like you, and I want to try to help you and all of the other students at this university as much as possible. At the end of the day that’s my goal.

Photos provided by Chris Clemente

UCF Contributor