Career

Poshmark Tips Every College Shopaholic Needs To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Being in college with a shopping addiction is definitely the worst combination possible. I’m always wanting to buy new pieces to keep up with the trends and look cute everywhere I go. The problem is that it leads to me having an overwhelming amount of clothing and no money. And let’s be real — once you wear a cute outfit and post it on Instagram, you rarely ever find yourself wearing it again. Luckily, there’s an amazing solution to this that will benefit both your bank account and your shopping addiction.

The answer is Poshmark. Poshmark is an online marketplace where users can efficiently sell and buy second-hand — or even new — fashion. I’ve been a Poshmark user since 2018 and started selling in 2019. Since then, I’ve made over $1,500 — which I can assure you went right back into buying new clothes from the app. It’s perfect for finding new clothes as well as selling ones that you either don’t want or don’t fit into anymore. If you sell the right way, you can earn some serious cash, which is perfect for anyone that needs a side hustle or has no time for a job. You would be surprised by how many people are interested in the clothes you put up on the site. As the saying goes: “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

Sometimes it can be difficult for people to navigate the site and actually sell — but don’t fear, because I have the best tips and tricks to help you become successful on Poshmark!

Pictures are KEY!

Pictures of the item you’re selling are the most important thing when it comes to listings. From personal experience, using the professional stock picture of items from the site that it originated is the most eye-catching thing — it helps buyers find exactly what they’re looking for. Along with the stock picture, it helps to add quality pictures that you took personally of the item — be sure to show specific details such as the front, back, and any imperfections. 

Specific Titles and Detailed Descriptions

The best way to title your items is to put the full product name. Just like the pictures, it’s important to have specifics listed on the app — putting the brand and name of the item will make it so much easier for the buyer. An example of a title I used for one of my items was “Réalisation Par Alexandra Red Star Dress,” which is way more specific than if I simply put “Red Dress.” As for descriptions, make sure to be detailed and precise. If there’s some wear and tear — say that. Don’t leave anything out, so that potential buyers know exactly what to expect.

Negotiate!

Negotiating is my favorite part about Poshmark. When setting your price, make it reasonable. Sometimes, people will send offers that can be a few dollars less than your listing price. My advice would be to accept it — either way, money is money. If you see something you like but want it for a little bit less, I recommend sending an offer first. You should never low ball!

Creating Packaging and Lightning Delivery

Shipping is the final important part of poshing — it can honestly make or break you. How fast you ship and how you package your items can greatly impact your reviews. For packaging, I suggest making it creative so that it can stick out to the buyer. Personally, I use iridescent cellophane to wrap the items, add a personalized thank you card, and mail the items out in polymailers. Be as unique as you can with the packaging! The recommended shipping time is one to three days, so I usually ship the day after an order is placed. Trust me, creative packaging and lightning-speed delivery will make you stand out to buyers — making them more than willing to leave a great review!

Although there’s no exact formula for perfecting your way around Poshmark, I hope that this encourages you to shop more sustainably while also cleaning out your closet and getting that extra cash. The convenience and fun make it all worthwhile. Happy Posh-ing!

Carissa is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus in business. When she's not writing, she loves to spend her free time online shopping, reading romance books, traveling, and going to theme parks!
UCF Contributor