animal beach clouds 313979jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
animal beach clouds 313979jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Trinity Kubassek

Pet Adoption Resources in Orlando

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you love animals and have room for a pet in your life, then you should consider adoption. Thousands of animals end up in shelters each year, and some never leave. Every animal deserves a loving home — you could give that to them. Here’s a list of five Orlando-based pet adoption resources you may or may not have heard of:

Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando

Location: 2727 Conroy Rd., Orlando, FL 32839

The Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando, formerly known as the SPCA of Central Florida, is the largest animal shelter in Orlando. The organization has two locations: one in Orlando and another in Sanford. They are currently doing adoptions online and in-person (with a reservation). The adoption fee covers sterilization, a microchip, and all vaccines. If you’re interested in adopting an animal, you can view pet listings on their website. 

Orange County Animal Services

Location: 2769 Conroy Rd., Orlando, FL 32839

Orange County Animal Services is a local shelter that offers adoptions, fostering and volunteering. This month, adoption fees have been reduced to $30 to encourage donations for the shelter’s “Spay It Forward” program, which provides free spay and neuter services to low-income applicants. Adopters can get a sense of a pet’s personality via WebEx or FaceTime before making an appointment. Similar to Pet Alliance, site visitors can see a list of adoptable animals online. 

Orlando Cat Café

Location: 532 Cagan Park Ave., Clermont, FL 34714 

Orlando Cat Café is one of the only cat cafés in the Central Florida area. Visitors can drink coffee and pet cats at the same time. Admission into the Cat Play Area is $8 per person, and all of the cats inside are adoptable. Reservations can be scheduled by phone or online. Orlando Cat Café is a partner of SPCA Florida; for every purchase made on the Orlando Cat Café online store, a portion of the proceeds will go toward helping homeless cats find a home. 

Happy Trails Animal Rescue

Location: 1720 N Goldenrod Rd., Orlando, FL 32807

Happy Trails Animal Rescue is a nonprofit organization serving Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties. Adoptable pets can be viewed online, and adoptions are by appointment only. Happy Trails Animal Rescue operates a resource center that supplies free dog training, free grooming, free educational seminars and a pet food pantry. Adopters can support the cause by shopping the Happy Trails online store or gifting an item from their Amazon wishlist.

Petfinder

Petfinder is an online resource that everyone should be familiar with. It’s a searchable database of animals who need homes. Users can search by animal, breed and location to discover their perfect match. Petfinder not only connects individuals with animal shelters and adoption organizations, but the site also hosts invaluable pet care information. On Petfinder, you can find articles on nutrition, training, grooming and more. 

If you’ve been looking for a sign to adopt an animal, this is it. Remember to do your own research and create a budget before bringing a dog or cat home. Adoption is a lifelong commitment, and pets deserve to be treated as members of the family.

Brie (she/her) is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying literature, digital humanities and editing & publishing. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, singing in the shower and taking care of her houseplants.
UCF Contributor