The Perfect Prom/Formal Dress Based on Your Personal Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Across the nation, the time of year that every girl either dreads or jumps for joy at has come upon us: Prom and Formal Season. That means ditching the sneakers for heels (or comfortable sandals) and trading in the shorts for a dress that’ll make any guy do a double take and make you feel like the boss lady you know you are.

But as we all know no two girls’ personal style is the same! So, here’s a list of dresses that’ll be sure to please every kind of girl! And bonus: no dress featured is over $150 dollars!

ARTSY

Artsy girls are definitely not interested in blending in. So something fun and unique, but sophisticated is right up their alley. Like this polkdot dream right here.

ASOS Tiered Spot Maxi Dress

$68.00

BOHEMIAN

Something lose and relaxed and reminiscent of fringe is perfect for a girl who loves boho style. And the color of this dress is just different enough to really make a statement.

Boohoo Cold Shoulder Drape Maxi Dress

$62.00

CASUAL

Not one for the pomp and flashiness that usually comes with a fomal or prom, the casual style lets your inner beauty shine through.

Tulle V-Neck Maxi Dress

$49.99

CLASSIC

Something reminiscent of the typical prom dress is perfect for a girl who wants to feel like a princess on her big night, but would rather eat a cupcake than look like one.

Mythical Kind of Love Coral Pink Maxi Dress

$64

COUNTRY

If you can wear it with boots, it’s perfect for the girl who a country sweetheart. And this green number is reminscent of a southern belles unique charm.

This is Love Sage Green Lace Maxi Dress

$78

EDGY

What’s edgier than a dress that’s actually short but has a sheer panel to make it look long? It’s taking something typical and turning it on its head.

Nadia Off-the-Shoulder Maxi Dress

$70.00

GLAM

Anything that looks like it could be found on a celebrity walking the red carpet is perfect for the glam style. Something elegant and eyecatching all the way.

Soieblu Plunge Front Gown

$78.00

GOTHIC

Let out your inner Morticia Addams in this wild lacey number. Perfect for showing some leg and representing your love of black.

Claire Off-the-Shoulder Lace Dress

$120.00

PREPPY

This little number isn’t a dress, but that’s exactly what makes it perfect for the preppy girl. Especially with the Peter Pan collar and the tailor pant bottom!

ASOS Shirt Detail Jumpsuit in Lace

$83.00

PUNK

This dress defies the norm by being short, and the punk style is all about going against the grain. With its lace up sleeves and faux leather fabric it’s the perfect punk LBD.

Faux Leather Lace Up Sleeve Bodycon Dress Black

$63.00

ROMANTIC/GIRLY

A vintage feel and lace design make this dress perfect for a girl who loves romantic girliness. The deep red also adds a bit of va-va voom for that extra umph.

Wanderlust Wine Lace Maxi Dress

$88

SEXY

Being sexy is all about emphasizing your assets and leaving little to the imagination, but also leaving all who see you wanting more. The bright red color and thigh slit definitely assist in that.

Choker Maxi Dress Red

$63.00

SPORTY

Wearing a dress is just not a sporty girls thing, so something that would look good with even sneakers is a must. A jumpsuit is a one piece item, but also reminiscent of pants you can chill out in.

ASOS Jersey Jumpsuit with Wrap Front and Tie Back Detail

$38.00

TOMBOY

Just like the sporty girl, the tomboy is not one for dresses and frills. This jumpsuit, reminiscent of a pinstripe pants suit, perfectly fits the “girl meets menswear” aesthetic that tomboys often go for.

$38.00

TRENDY

Trends always change, but at the current moment two piece dresses are the talk of town and perfect for proms and formals.

ASOS All Over Embellished Crop Top Maxi Dress

$128.00

VIBRANT

Bright colors and eyecatching patterns are exactly what a girl who loves the vibrant style looks for. This floral midi/maxi dress is the perfect fit.

ASOS Golden Floral Bardot Midi Dress

$103.00

Photo Credit: All photos gotten from the company websites. Links located under photos.

Christian is a 2020 UCF graduate and Creative Writing and Legal Studies duel major and an aspiring novelist working on her debut novel. One look at her color-coded closet and it’s obvious why Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Devil Wears Prada are her favorite movies of all time. If she’s not spending all her money on clothes and high heels, she’s probably out buying more books to go on her already overstuffed bookshelf. The women she looks up to most are J.K. Rowling, the queen of all things literary, and Anna Wintour, the queen of all of thing fashion. If she could be a combination of them by the time she’s thirty, she will have proudly hit her peak.
UCF Contributor