The Perfect Pick: How To Choose The Right Seat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

So it’s the first day of school, your first class of the fall semester. You’ve danced this dance and sang this song four or five times at the beginning of each semester.  You walk into class a few minutes before it starts and scan the room; once, twice, maybe even three times.

You know in your heart of hearts, that the seat you are about to choose, is going to be your permanent seat for the rest of the semester. Even though our college professors don’t really give a hoot where you sit, you care…and so does every other student in that classroom.  It’s an unspoken agreement with every other person in the room, that the seat you sit in during the first couple of classes will be the seat you sit in for the remainder of the semester.

This isn’t to say that if you happen to walk in late and grab the last open seat by the door, that all hell will break loose but I can definitely promise you that you will feel extremely awkward and uneasy for the rest of the class period.

So, how do you choose your seat? Well, I like to go for places that aren’t very “call on me to answer a question,” or places that scream, “I’d rather be doing a million different things with my life than sitting here.” I’m also a big fan of setting camp some where on the left side of the room. Maybe it’s because most of my classes have windows located near that side.

That’s another thing; as humans, we are attracted to the sunlight. Any outdoor lighting will automatically signal comfortability and draw us nearer to it’s glow.

It’s also crucial that you sit in the company of people that don’t make you want to rip your eyeballs out of their sockets. What I mean by that is, don’t sit next to the girl that lays out all of her 8 pencils just in case 7 of them break during the hour and fifteen minute class period. Or the guy who smells like last night’s alcohol; that smell will send you faster to the bathroom than you could have ever thought possible.

Be wise, my fellow undergrads because one wrong choice could make a 1:30 PM basket weaving class feel just as bad as a 7:30 AM calculus class.

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency. 
UCF Contributor